Home Sports Talk

NESN decides to trash Don Orsillo during the Jerry Remy rememberance ceremony last night

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess you'd have to be a reasonably long time Red Sox fan to appreciate this issue. Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy were the Red Sox broadcasters for 15 years. They were a pair made in heaven the way they interfaced with each other during games. They were sharp, knew the game, called them well and enjoyed life together in the booth. It was a joy to listen to them announce in their special way.
It is unfathomable that NESN (New England Sports Network) could trash Orsillo by first seeking his on screen tribute to Jerry, then, kinda last minute tell Orsillo his piece was no longer needed. Orsillo was fired by NESN in 2015.

Before the Boston Red Sox took the field on Wednesday night, they honored former player and NESN broadcaster Jerry Remy.

Remy passed away this year after a lengthy battle with cancer. For some reason, Remy’s longtime broadcast partner, Don Orsillo, was omitted from last night’s tribute.

Orsillo currently calls games for the San Diego Padres. However, he revealed on Twitter that he was offered an opportunity to make a video message for Remy’s ceremony.

In a surprising turn of events, Orsillo’s message wasn’t shown at the ceremony.

Here’s what the message said:

“Hey Boston, Don Orsillo here working tonight in San Diego. I would like to thank the Red Sox for the opportunity to talk about my friend. Jerry…I miss you every day. I miss your friendship, your daily texts but mostly your laugh. Without you Rem, I am not in the Major Leagues today.

“We worked together 15 years and the last 13 you battled. I never thought you would lose. The strongest person I have ever known. Thank you to the Fenway Faithful and Red Sox Nation I promise you Jerry knew how much you loved him and it kept him fighting to the end. I would like to thank the Red Sox players for wearing the Remy 2 patch this year…it is so very worthy. To Phoebe and the Remy Family, I love you all and share in your great pain. Jerry…Thank you is not enough for everything you have done for me in my life or my career. I love you Rem!”

As you’d expect, Red Sox fans are upset this beautiful message wasn’t displayed at Fenway Park.
“Bush league move by the Sox/NESN. Doesn’t sit well with me at all,” one fan tweeted.

As for me, this is beyond bush league, this is a tiny handful of those at the top of NESN that have forever tainted the memory of Jerry Remy. Unlikely any other sports casting legend, as Don Orsillo was to the Red Sox, would act like this to anyone. DISGUSTING on so many levels!!!

Comments

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I used to have the MLB package, I would have other teams broadcasts on when the Yankees were not playing. I always tuned into the Red sox broadcasts during their time. I also liked when the Diamondbacks when they had Darren Sutton and the Giants Krukow and Kuiper.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would they be so ignorant?

I didn’t follow Orsillo’s exit from the Boston Booth, was it in bad terms?

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Why would they be so ignorant?

I didn’t follow Orsillo’s exit from the Boston Booth, was it in bad terms?

Paul...about 2.5 minutes, but you get the real deal from Orsillo himself. I'm thrilled he landed such a sweet gig. I sometimes tune in Padres broadcasts just to listen his comments. What a HORRIBLE way to trash him by tossing his love to the Remdawg on tribute day to Remy.
    A fellow New Englander, born in Melrose. Announcing for the Red Sox had to be a dream job, he and Remy just jelled so nicely. What were they thinking to have fired him??? Mega expletives not typed...you know what I mean. WICKED STUPID.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/boston-red-sox/ex-boston-red-sox-announcer-don-orsillo-doesnt-know-why-team-fired-him

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful message from Orsillo, NESN should be ashamed, a complete disgrace.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

ummmmmmmm since when hasn't NESN sucked in general?

its always been garbage