Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Haggard 1982 Topps Ripken in PSA 10 Holder

This is so upsetting to see, considering how many of these cards I've subbed that came back 7s and 8s.

With the chipping along the left and right edges, the ink smudging over Bob Bonner's name, and the completely blind cut of the left edge of the card. I don't usually like to call out over-grades but I couldn't resist with this one. It's just so bad... even Jeff Schneider can't believe what he's seeing. lol

According to the cert page, Probstein sold this same card exactly one year ago.

Comments

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

No doubt. This is the problem.....They have Merle Haggard all stoned and drunk grading the cards. I think mine were graded by Stevie Wonder.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

That hackneyed diamond cut will give me nightmares. Thanks a lot @jeffcbay :D:D

• Options
    McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Pre-2020....back when a 10 was attainable on a card like this.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Probably a reholder

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably graded under the 1998 standards. Possibly the 2004 standards. Outside chance the 2010 standards. Highly unlikely the 2018 standards, and no chance the 2022 standards.

So there you have it.

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    Probably graded under the 1998 standards. Possibly the 2004 standards. Outside chance the 2010 standards. Highly unlikely the 2018 standards, and no chance the 2022 standards.

So there you have it.

Come on. This card wasn't graded using any era's PSA standards, just carelessness. I wouldn't grade this any more than a 6.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

@53BKid said:

@80sOPC said:

So there you have it.

Come on. This card wasn't graded using any era's PSA standards, just carelessness. I wouldn't grade this any more than a 6.

Was just kidding around, agree it was a misgrade.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

That tilt just kills me…

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

not a nice looking 10 at all.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would look just fine in an 8 slab.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

This card was sold on April 25th for $2222.00, and relisted by the same seller on May 5th. Train wreck.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Nice PSA 8

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once subbed a mint card that got an 8. Cracked it and it came back a 10 the next time. From that point forward I sold off many high end cards and switched to 7s and 8s. I’ve bought 5s that are beautiful cards. I mostly do autographs through private signings. I will never buy a 10 in my life. Total waste of money.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    This is why buying 10s has never made sense to me. Especially with common cards like this, you can always find a nice 9 at a fraction of the price. I think I paid $55 for this.

Beautiful 9... image registration is a big deal on this card and yours is perfect.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    This is why buying 10s has never made sense to me. Especially with common cards like this, you can always find a nice 9 at a fraction of the price. I think I paid $55 for this.

I’m with you @PaulMaul.

• Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

@jeffcbay said:
    This is so upsetting to see, considering how many of these cards I've subbed that came back 7s and 8s.

With the chipping along the left and right edges, the ink smudging over Bob Bonner's name, and the completely blind cut of the left edge of the card. I don't usually like to call out over-grades but I couldn't resist with this one. It's just so bad... even Jeff Schneider can't believe what he's seeing. lol

According to the cert page, Probstein sold this same card exactly one year ago.

This is absolutely upsetting. If you really want to be disappointed, start with this cert# and keep going. After about 30 cards, and roughly 10 PSA 10s later, I quit checking.

And it’s not just this card. I’ve been looking for a 1984 Fleer Update Puckett PSA 10. Just looked at one on eBay that looks more like a PSA 9 OC at best. I counted 9 with with that cert# sequence, 6 of them were graded PSA 10. Then followed by a run of 1984 Fleer Update Clemens with similar results. Very disappointing to say the least.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Sometimes , you just don't want to know what really goes on with grading.