Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 Topps Tiffany Randy Johnson Rookie Question

JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

For all you Big Unit collectors out there….

Which is the superior Randy Johnson rookie card to own?

1989 Topps Tiffany #647 Randy Johnson (Expos)

OR

1989 Topps Traded Tiffany #57T Randy Johnson (Mariners)

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• azvikeazvike Posts: 352 ✭✭✭

Not sure about values, but I tend to go for a player's first team....in this case '89 Topps Tiffany #647 (Expos)

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

I think both of the sets were produced in equal numbers.......so it just becomes a collector preference at that point.

Personally, I don't consider his 1989 update/traded cards as 'rookies' since he had cards in the base set first.

• junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

@JimMeant said:

OR

1989 Fleer Marlboro Variation. Easily. Any of the earliest versions with a visible sign.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@junkwaxgems said:

@JimMeant said:

OR

1989 Fleer Marlboro Variation. Easily. Any of the earliest versions with a visible sign.

Fleer glossy of the same is a tough one too. Pop 9.

As a lower cost option, I got a blacked out glossy.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go for the tiffany in the expos uniform. that would be considered the "rookie" card. I think.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

I considered this just this weekend and made an offer on the Fleer Marlboro. I just think its a cool variation. And cheap for how low the POP is in comparison to other HOF RCs. I got a low serial number box of 89 Fleer about a year ago and got the FF but the Randy was partially obscured. Think there are very few of these out there and condition is probably not great on the limited supply. Mine isnt great left to right but I still like it. Only 100.

edited April 23, 2022 12:45AM

@NGS428 said:

@junkwaxgems said:

@JimMeant said:

OR

The Glossy isn’t a tough card at all, pretty common in comparison.

The Marlboro sign went through at least thirteen (13!) changes before it was finally, fully blacked out. All in about four weeks. So some of those variations were printed in extremely low quantities. And then there is the first, or clear, version - maybe four or five copies known.

FYI - all glossies are the fully corrected, full blacked out background version, no others exist.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@junkwaxgems said:

@NGS428 said:

@junkwaxgems said:

@JimMeant said:

OR

The Marlboro sign went through at least thirteen (13!) changes before it was finally, fully blacked out. All in about four weeks. So some of those variations were printed in extremely low quantities. And then there is the first, or clear, version - maybe four or five copies known.

FYI - all glossies are the fully corrected, full blacked out background version, no others exist.

The pop report must be messed up or mechanical errors. PSA has the following pops for 89 fleer glossy.

@NGS428 said:

@junkwaxgems said:

@NGS428 said:

@junkwaxgems said:

@JimMeant said:

OR

The pop report must be messed up or mechanical errors. PSA has the following pops for 89 fleer glossy.

![])

This is completely inaccurate info. PSA is probably the worst information source for these cards. There are many great, informative discussions out there (Net54, BO, here...) detailing why. One such reason is this. Fleer glossy sets were produced at a much later time than the base set. Randy's card was corrected within a month of release. Corrected at least 13 different ways! All of these corrections were made BEFORE Fleer even started on the Bill Ripken card.

You will never find an example of a 1989 Fleer Glossy Randy Johnson without the fully blacked out background.

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a great card and I love the variations. I think mine is better than partially obscured. Cowboy shows and should be red tint?? What do I know besides nothing?!?

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2022 2:38PM

I like both Tiffany RC of the Unit........ here is the 'Spos ~ my preference of the two & my copy.

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

I don't collect him but I've always thought his best looking '89 was the Score Traded. Solid action photo with the team he's most known for.

• woodstock2woodstock2 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

I love Tiffany cards and the relative scarcity of some sets. I would vote for 1989 Topps Tiffany #647 if I had to choose between these two.

That said, my RJ rookie preference is the Fleer Marlboro Ad on Scoreboard card. When it comes to absolute rarity some versions of that card far surpass anything Tiffany. If you don't care about getting a specific card grade, it isn't too hard to track down most Tiffany cards on eBay. That isn't true for some of the Ad on Scoreboard versions where you can go years without seeing a particular version of any grade come to market.