Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Off center error in Basic Set registry?

savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if off-center errors are valid coins for set registry slots? It is clearly the right coin, and straight graded, but just off center.

Comments

• Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭

Don't have an answer to your question, but I do have to say, that is beautiful set of coins. I'm anxious to hear some response to your actual question.

Dave

• Options
    CentSearcherCentSearcher Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

That's a good question. I don't have a PCGS mint error coin to test this out, but I was curious. So, I went on eBay and found a mint error coin that would fill a spot in one of my sets. I then plugged the cert number into "What If" on the PCGS set registry app, and it said that it does not upgrade any of my sets.

Based off of that, I'd say no, that they aren't valid coins for set registry slots. I hope this helps, maybe somebody else will have a better answer.

• Options
    oldsmagnetoldsmagnet Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

You can always submit it under the "Report a cert that should match this composite" link - my gut says it ~should~ actually work - but you'll get someone to look at that coin and determine it on a case-by-case basis. But if you have the coin already, DO IT - only takes a few seconds to submit. Usually I've gotten a response from that function within a day (although that's usually been adding the new year's coin to their sets, so your mileage will vary) Good luck!

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a response back from PCGS: "If the PCGS # attached to your coin has the letter E in front of it, they can only be used for inventory purposes and in showcases, but unfortunately they cannot be used in competitive sets."

Oh well. I think it would be better to include errors even if they count for 0 registry points. Some cool errors could really spice up a set and be fun to see.