Home Sports Talk
Options

2022 Kentucky Derby

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to get the ball rolling. Who is the "now" horse. Any horse being touted as the next "Secretariat" yet? Who do you like?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Secretariats this year.

Epicenter looks tough.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

I haven't paid much attention of late. Probably will go with a hunch bet or key in on a trainer. Never have much luck with this race.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Bombs away. 80-1 shot scored in the race. "Rich Strike" a most appropriate name given the winning price. Boxcar payoffs. No, did not have it. Horse #21. Don't believe a #21 ever won the derby before. Horse got in off an also eligible list. Fortunate for the winning connections. The scratched horse was trained by D. Wayne Lukas, whose horse won the previous day Filly Derby race. On to the Preakness and Belmont Stakes for "Rich Strike" and a quest for the Triple Crown.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 for 38 in picking Derby winners. Had the 2nd and 4th place horses. Loved the long shot that finished 4th and totally disregarded Rich Strike. I guess I wasn’t alone.
    I love horse racing. I told the wife in a 20 horse field anything can happen. I also told her coming from the 15th hole or farther is almost improbable
    As the race progressed and setting a blistering pace I told her to watch the middle of the pack because the pace horses would tire.
    Congratulations to Rich Strike and his owners. Claimed for $30k and an alternate, entered at 8 am on a late scratch.
    Did I say how much I love horse racing?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2022 11:44AM

An incredible race. At the halfway point Rich Strike was only in front of 2 horses with heavy traffic in front.

This gives me chills.
    https://youtu.be/gCk0P92uoXc

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:
    An incredible race. At the halfway point Rich Strike was only in front of 2 horses with heavy traffic in front.

This gives me chills.

Great video. What explains that burst? Was that out of the norm? I pretty much only watch the big three races. And I don't pay much attention. But I was shocked watching this one.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@robec said:

This gives me chills.

Great video. What explains that burst? Was that out of the norm? I pretty much only watch the big three races. And I don't pay much attention. But I was shocked watching this one.

One account I read pointed out the blazing speed up through the first half of the race. The leader for the first quarter mile posted the fastest quarter mile in Derby history. He finished last, 64 1/2 lengths behind.

The combination of.the fast pace of the leaders (running out of gas late) and finishing style of Rich Strike may have contributed to the finish. It also helped that the winner did it mostly from the inside rather than taking the outside path.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

With blistering fractions of 21.78 and 45.36, the race was set up to fall apart. That said, it was amazing how gutty Epicenter and Zandon were, to hang in there. Bottom line: Rich Strike was flat unbelievable.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.