Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA rejects sent to SGC w/results

A few weeks ago I sent in some of my past PSA rejects to SGC to at least get them slabbed as Authentic as I wanted them encapsulated for my personal collection. Here are the results…while I wasn’t sure what to expect, there were a few surprises…

Comments

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Imagine that. Congrats.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not surprised at all especially on min size.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

Wow. Congrats. And thanks for the idea.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

So SGC is only 50% as good at grading as PSA ;)

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Grading is very subjective and frankly, random. Crazy how much of a premium is paid on 8-9-10.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

Did you measure the ones that PSA said was too small and SGC gave a grade?

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Very smart move sending them back in. Nice 1960 Aaron too. Nice 57 Mantle also.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did that 57 Mantle get a miscut originally? It looks normal to me?

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

Looks like it is a diamond cut just judging from the right side. Kind of hard to tell from the pic but the right side does look off. It's a nice looking card, though.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@Tabe said:

Looks like it is a diamond cut just judging from the right side. Kind of hard to tell from the pic but the right side does look off. It's a nice looking card, though.

PROMETHIUS, Please explain diamond cut?

My grading is off...looks better than a 2.5 to me.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Yeah, I was surprised by a 2.5 also, when I got it back I noticed a small barely noticeable bend/crease on the top of the card which I hadn’t noticed before but I figure was probably there. A real good looking 2.5 if I say so myself.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Based on the pictures at SGC for that 1957 Mantle, there appears to be a stain on the back. Also, the right edge might have a slight "curve" to it (not by much). I have seen cards graded with a similar type of cut. I think there were some Tom Seaver RC's I was looking at recently with a similar type of "curved" edge

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Also, Here’s the slight crease…

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Clearly shows how subjective the whole grading system is and how easy it could be/is to manipulate it or how easily mistakes can and are made, one way or the other.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

This post should scare people from sending cards to PSA.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@Tabe said:

The PSA definition is "Any and all cards that exhibit an atypical cut for the issue, which may result in portions of the subject card being cut off or more than one card being visible".

Maybe I'm just blind but I sure don't see that in this particular card. Diamond cuts, especially one as minor as this one, usually don't get MC designations.

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

From PSA?? That's your takeaway? Umm...

• Options
    bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Scary about SGC grading an evidence of trim as a 7…wow. Why I will stick with PSA.

• Options
    empigtvempigtv Posts: 58 ✭✭

@bswhiten said:
    Scary about SGC grading an evidence of trim as a 7…wow. Why I will stick with PSA.

PSA does the same thing all the time. You just have to keep sending the same card back to them. In my experience, you can go from min size, to trimmed, to graded all with PSA. Those results make clear that there is not a lot of objectivity involved in grading. I just had the same card go from a 3 to a 6 on a crack and resubmit. What’s truly crazy is the price delta between grades when it seems that PSA does not consistently assign the same grade to the exact same card. With modern cards in particular, the difference between a 9 and 10 is essentially nothing. I be you could submit 100 modern 9s and 10s and many would flip flop on a regrade.

• Options
    bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Evidence of trim to a 7 does not make sense to me, but to each their own. I will stick with PSA for my collection. Posts like these reinforce my decision. Kudos to the op for getting SGC to slab with grades.

I prefer posts with pictures :)

• Options
    edited April 16, 2022 4:22PM

@bswhiten said:

Many people have cracked out PSA cards and sent them to other companies and came back trimmed.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

All grading companies have graded trimmed cards. All grading companies have refused to slab cards that are not altered. All do their best not to do either.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

Or SGC

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2022 7:35PM

@grote15 said:

@coolstanley said:

Or SGC

I trust SGC.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

SGC is pretty clearly a notch below

• Options
    cgfalconecgfalcone Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

@professorpuck said:
    SGC is pretty clearly a notch below

It is clearly a notch below in terms of resale value but if you are talking in terms of “accuracy” however you want to define that, I’m not sure that anyone really has the data to make that assessment.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if the TPG's were to adopt computer grading, unless all equipment was calibrated the same way for all TPG's,you still would have variances in the grading results. Different settings would look for different things if not all alike in settings. Just my viewpoint.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

@Cakes said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@Tabe said:

PROMETHIUS, Please explain diamond cut?

My grading is off...looks better than a 2.5 to me.

Hiya Brian

Not sure if you were just being rhetorical but for those who get confused about the difference between a "diamond cut" and a "tilt" in a card?

Here's an exaggerated e.g. of a diamond cut: the corners are "not" at 90 degrees.

A "tilt" is a card with 90 degree corners but the inner part is not parallel with the edges/border.

Mike, Thanks for the explanation. I had heard the term before but couldn't remember what it meant.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

I have a box of cracked out labels with more than 100 PSA cards that were under graded, or listed as trimmed that when resubmitted graded 1-3 grades higher. One and only 1 graded 1/2 point lower. I had 6s grade 9 and 8s grade 10. PSA does not follow their own grading guidelines. It’s my opinion each grader has his or her own scale

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    For me it reinforces how wildly inconsistent grading is. Trimmed cards by the train load have been getting by TPG’s for 20 years. The most iconic card in the hobby is trimmed for gods sake. One card doctor made bank buying lower grade 86 Jordans and “improving” them, he hit 3 PSA 10’s ….in one sub. And yet a Jordan pulled from a pack/break on this forum came back EOT.

Lets be honest grading, as done today, by all TPG’s is a bit of a mess. Until true tech is introduced into the process it will remain this way, it is much too hard to consistently catch EOT, undersized cards and other micro transgressions consistently it at all.

@grote15 said:

@coolstanley said:

Or SGC

Do you have more info on the doctored 86s coming back PSA10s? You got my attention.

Brian

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike, Thanks for the explanation. I had heard the term before but couldn't remember what it meant.>

Hiya Brian - you're very welcome.

Sharing with other collectors is at the core of why I participate in our hobby.

Mike
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Even if the TPG's were to adopt computer grading, unless all equipment was calibrated the same way for all TPG's,you still would have variances in the grading results. Different settings would look for different things if not all alike in settings. Just my viewpoint.

Some truth to this, but the measurements would be the same. I would think a combination of computer and human grading would be the best. Would like to know what issues the grader/computer found when card is downgraded.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set