Home Sports Talk

RIP Mike Bossy

Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

Comments

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hated this guy ! 79 to 85 islanders were almost unbeatable . what a pure scorer he was ! You wouldnt even know he was on the ice until the puck was in the net .
    He wasnt a liability without the puck like pierre larouche or someone like that it was just that he just finished so quickly that i dont think i ever noticed him unless he was scoring.

He ws best appreciated in person because he probably was never on camera except for the end of a scoring play.

He only played 10 seasons he would have had a shot at 1000 goals otherwise ;)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't watch much hockey, but I have heard of Mike Bossy, so he must have been pretty darn good. RIP.

edited April 15, 2022 2:30PM

That version of the islanders was incredible . they had to be to eclipse the montreal team of the late 70s .

As a bruins fan i hated having to play them because it was basically a scheduled loss :neutral:
    And you knew they were going to beat up o'reilly either gillies nystrom or whoever
    And dont get me started on gorings stupid helmet

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bossy Trottier line was phenomenal!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

50 goals in 50 games. 60 goals or more in 9 straight seasons. He was Gretzky before Gretzky

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    50 goals in 50 games. 60 goals or more in 9 straight seasons. He was Gretzky before Gretzky

No gretzky was different . bossy didnt get assists except by accident.
    I dont remember him as a puck carrier he was a finisher.
    Not like espo lurking around the net either .
    He would just be somewhere and score boom.

As great as he was he is underappreciated today. because his career was cut short. A shooting star .
    If Orr was playing now I bet they could fix his knees. If Bossy was playing now could they fix his back?

He did get fullish seasons at least . Unlike a guy like Lindros or Cam Neely who maybe played longer in years but only played half or partial seasons because of repeated injuries that eventually made them hang up the skates

This guy had 53 goals as a rookie! 50 or more goals in 9 of 10 seasons ! shooting percentage nearly 1 in 4 !

points per game, goals per game, goals per shot taken he basically defined the word sniper

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    As great as he was he is underappreciated today. because his career was cut short. A shooting star .
    If Orr was playing now I bet they could fix his knees. If Bossy was playing now could they fix his back?

He did get fullish seasons at least . Unlike a guy like Lindros or Cam Neely who maybe played longer in years but only played half or partial seasons because of repeated injuries that eventually made them hang up the skates

This guy had 53 goals as a rookie! 50 or more goals in 9 of 10 seasons ! shooting percentage nearly 1 in 4 !

points per game, goals per game, goals per shot taken he basically defined the word sniper

Only year he didn’t get 50 was his last because of a debilitating back that forced his early retirement

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.