Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2000 Bahamas SEVEN (7) Coin Uncirculated Set - this is RARE

Unbelievably this set came up for sale on ebay and wasn't really categorized as it should have been and with little fanfare sold for a whole USD 10.50 plus shipping & tax. I had been looking for it now for some YEARS and saw that apparently last sold 10/11 years ago.
These were evidently sold as millennium souvenirs but at the same time there were FIVE coin sets that did not include the struck for the set only 50c and Dollar coins. The 5 coin sets therefore are common and do not include any special coins whilst the 7 coin sets do. The set is not in Krause and the 50c and dollar coins are not singly listed in Krause either.

Schon evidently lists them but in a confusing fashion & not really confirming their existence in the catalog I have. en.numista has them but the listing does not make a whole lot of sense in that they quote 13% of collectors have the set which I tend to doubt.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of the dollar coin out of the set:

I can dig out a picture of the set if anyone wants.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2022 9:13AM

Please note that there are some dollars struck for the year that are not the traditional conch design and are proofs, some were struck with a complex common conch with the 2000 date on one side and if one looks carefully a 1996 date on the other side which this coin does not have.
    The OP coin is of the type KM 65b
    The commem coin is type KM 176

Please note that en.numista also evidently has in error the 1989 Two Dollars Flamingoes wherein they list a KM 66c as existing as a copper nickel uncirculated. This coin exists in proof and listed as silver in most sources, but proof only and not uncirculated. Without wearing the topic out, the en.numista site says 29 % of collectors have one of the uncirculated $2 flamingoes which is highly doubtful.

• Options

I have been searching for that 1989 $2 in C-N Unc for 18 years and have found NOT ONE! I do not believe they exist, as I take regular trips to the Bahamas, am online every day, and scour auctions for this coin daily. Never heard of one, never seen one and am totally convinced that it was never struck. However in a conversation with a retired mint employee, I was informed that there WAS an order for them but that she doubts they were ever struck, which I am very inclined to agree with. I belive the coin to be a phantom.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2022 6:16PM

Yes, that bit is much appreciated. It certainly makes me question not only this en.numista catalog citation but them many of their others as well. What is your estimation of the rarity of the 2000 Bahamas 7 coin sets?
    Randy (I assume that is your name from your nomen), do share what you have or are interested in with regards to Bahamas. Do you collect the FM uncirculated issues, or have you found any unusual patterns? Are there any other years or strike types of flamingo 2 dollar coins, conch dollars, or marlin 50c pieces?
    Are there any other sets similar to the 1998 proof set that is almost mythical?
    Do you collect other Caribbean?
    If you don't want to post, know that I am a collector and you can PM me. I love the information/411 almost as much as the coins!