Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

World Coin Market

Does anyone have an opinion on status of world coin market? Are there any countries or types that are strong?

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

In general yes I think the word coin market is strong .

Meaning there is demand for NICE coins at all price points imo .

I also see younger folk getting interested in collecting world coinage . …good to see this happening.

Be it specific dates to complete a set or individual world classic type coin specimens.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 411 ✭✭✭

It’s quite a general question that’s impossible to answer. ‘World Coins’ is a US-centric term that covers modern holiday change to Chinese cash coins to Russian Empire roubles to Carolingian deniers. For me, Morgan dollars are World Coins, and the market for those is strong.

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

@JohnConduitt said:
    It’s quite a general question that’s impossible to answer. ‘World Coins’ is a US-centric term that covers modern holiday change to Chinese cash coins to Russian Empire roubles to Carolingian deniers. For me, Morgan dollars are World Coins, and the market for those is strong.

Well yes, I should have been more specific. I recently sold off my US collection as the market is strong. Will continue with my Canadian, as that is what I originally started collecting, but not seeing any great bargains there either.

• Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

Philippines pesos 10X in price in the last 2 years. I expect them to 10X again soon.

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭✭

The Canadian market is strong for key, semi key, and accurately graded top pop coins. The rest has been fairly flat for a number of years. IMHO.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • jgennjgenn Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just buy what looks interesting and will be something that you will keep in your collection for a long time. This idea that you are looking for a tip on a type of coin that you can profit on just rubs me the wrong way.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jgenn said:
    Why not just buy what looks interesting and will be something that you will keep in your collection for a long time. This idea that you are looking for a tip on a type of coin that you can profit on just rubs me the wrong way.

Why don't you offer him or her advise for a fee? :#

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2022 6:09AM

There are some interesting phenomena these days, and trends are just that IMO. Personally I collect late milled pre-decimal Great Britain and Caribbean ex-colonial and Commonwealth currency coins (& oddments). The latter nobody cares about but I have great fun in finding what are likely outstanding rarities & some of great beauty.
    The former, well, my coins are alright as investments but positively run over by proof 19th and early 20th C. gold as well as the gigantonormous (LOL) latest Queen's Beasts and pointless commems. I really don't care as I would rather have a superb 1893 Jubilee Head sixpence than a 2021 5 ounce gold Britannia or other such contrivance.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

China & Great Britain are hot and have been hot for a while.

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

What’s hot in Great Britain?

@bidask said:

Maybe I am wrong just seems there is pretty good competition overall for a lot of their coinage.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2022 8:01PM

@bidask said:

What ISN'T hot in Great Britain? :'(

Even English toy money is hot!

• @bidask said:

I also see younger folk getting interested in collecting world coinage . …good to see this happening.

Be it specific dates to complete a set or individual world classic type coin specimens.

I have alot of money that can be really interesting and some may worth alot. Can I send you pictures of my collection... Thanks you and my name is Manon

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2022 2:25PM

Interest is strong especially for nice low pop slabbed material. Mexico is my main area of interest in world coin venue. Strong demand Caballito Peso 1910-1914 and 50 Peso Gold 1921-1947.

Coins & Currency

@Cashlady999 said:

@bidask said:

I have alot of money that can be really interesting and some may worth alot. Can I send you pictures of my collection... Thanks you and my name is Manon

Yes you may Manon

Please pm me thank you

edited April 16, 2022 4:02PM

@Cougar1978 said:
    Interest is strong especially for nice low pop slabbed material. Mexico is my main area of interest in world coin venue. Strong demand Caballito Peso 1910-1914 and 50 Peso Gold 1921-1947.

The Caballito Pesos are such beautiful pieces of art/history. What a great little series with the 1914 key date and a few others as well.

There is a book on this series. Worth the money got mine a while back.

• robp2robp2 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭✭

The current market is going crazy. On Tuesday at Goldbergs, this https://auctions.goldbergcoins.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/114/lot/190150?uact=3&aid=114&lid=190087&current_page=168 made $5250 hammer. For me it's a coin priced somewhere between £500 & £1K. For the number collectors it's nothing special at 63. I paid £164 for mine, albeit in 2005, but over 30x uplift in 19 years is just bonkers.

Maybe the marketing bs (of which there was a lot) drew a couple people in. e.g Lot 1191 achieved the remarkable distinction of being better than itself. Touted as far superior to the Nobleman/Brand/Norweb specimen (which it was), it somehow surpassed the description of Brilliant mint state in the Norweb sale, but only got a 64 grade instead of a 71. I despair.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say that this recent auction surprised me. Teutonic Taler, NGC AU53 up to 6K all in.

Nice coin, hard-ish to find straight graded, but a big jump from recent prior sales. More expensive than prior mint state examples and more expensive than higher graded 2 talers. It may be that this date is just more rare?

My current "Box of 20"

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robp2 said:
    The current market is going crazy. On Tuesday at Goldbergs, this https://auctions.goldbergcoins.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/114/lot/190150?uact=3&aid=114&lid=190087&current_page=168 made $5250 hammer. For me it's a coin priced somewhere between £500 & £1K. For the number collectors it's nothing special at 63. I paid £164 for mine, albeit in 2005, but over 30x uplift in 19 years is just bonkers.

Maybe the marketing bs (of which there was a lot) drew a couple people in. e.g Lot 1191 achieved the remarkable distinction of being better than itself. Touted as far superior to the Nobleman/Brand/Norweb specimen (which it was), it somehow surpassed the description of Brilliant mint state in the Norweb sale, but only got a 64 grade instead of a 71. I despair.

Shocking on this bit, at least to me. I've a 1963 which is likely equally rare bought at your price Rob. I really think I would not be collecting at these prices. Who is buying? Can they buy with intent to sell at profit? Hard to gauge just what this means overall.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:
    I'll say that this recent auction surprised me. Teutonic Taler, NGC AU53 up to 6K all in.

Nice coin, hard-ish to find straight graded, but a big jump from recent prior sales. More expensive than prior mint state examples and more expensive than higher graded 2 talers. It may be that this date is just more rare?

I was also following. I think somebody might be in that piece for a long time.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy said:

@Bob13 said:

I was also following. I think somebody might be in that piece for a long time.

@bidask - that's a nice one.

I was just excited to have "made" this coin a few months ago, which I purchased out of a Gorny auction:

unfortunately, not sure the TrueView does it justice....

My current "Box of 20"

• ClioClio Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2024 10:23AM

@bidask said:

I don't really know how to digest this sort of metric but I thought of the registry when you asked the question so I thought I would share.

GB is the European country with the most sets on the registry. This isn't really a reliable metric for what's "hot" considering those sets don't include hammered coinage to my knowledge. GB has a lot more history than what is worth grading and building sets around. There's also likely a lot of it considering the size of their empire over time.

In Non-US North America Canada is far and away the country with the most sets, but if you asked me if Canada was hot I wouldn't have known. It's clearly popular to build sets of. What's more interesting to me is there is 1/3rd of the sets for Mexico. Mexico is extremely hot but either it doesn't translate as well to registries or perhaps there is just less coinage to go around?

Not attempting to make a definitive statement here just speaking out loud the thoughts rolling around in my head. I've certainly had some fierce competition on very nice GB coinage this year.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"