Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What Do You Use For Coins Holders?

I've always used Eagle holders for my raw coins but I'm looking for something different. I was just
wondering what do you use?

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2022 6:54PM

Not mine but they look easy to store and present nicely. They come in all sizes. They also have some with a black inner case. I prefer their look over the white ones. Easy to locate on Ebay.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

The storage boxes are sold separately. Again in different sizes.

• Options
    edited April 9, 2022 7:00PM

They could be black on one side and black on the other I am not sure.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Econo Apple zip lock envelopes.
    $3.00 per 100, any size. Size after 25 cent coin u.s. unavailable.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cucumbor said:
    Abafil trays all the way

An accident waiting to happen. :s

• Options
    CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Not sure I understand, sorry

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cucumbor said:
    Not sure I understand, sorry

I think some people worry about potentially dropping a tray full of coins.

• Options
    CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

I don't think I've ever dropped a tray full of coins in fifty years. Dropping one coin may have happened though :)

• Options
    BSmithBSmith Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

That's the the type I'm thinking of going with.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

AirTite holders. Available in nearly all sizes. I’m not enamored with this solution though.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use 2x2 double pocket flips for most coins. I can remove the coin for inspection or photos and they're fairly cheap and archival safe.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@BSmith said:

That's the the type I'm thinking of going with.

Easy to locate on Ebay and same for the box holder as well. Just type BCW coin holders or BCW coin cases and search.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am 95% sure this is Chinese crap. Personally, after spending bucks on a coin, it's not ending up in some junk holder.

When I was a novice collector, I purchased paper money holders (the plastic pocket kind) that turned out to be Chinese garbage. The plastic was full of imperfections, there was lint/dirt all over the holders, and they were optically distorting. Lesson learned.

Now I use only Saf-flip (spelled something like that, but NOT Safe-T-Flip which is a cheaper knock-off). It is virgin material, totally inert, archival, and clean. This is what PCGS uses and suggests for submissions.

• Options
    edited April 15, 2022 6:51PM

@pruebas said:

I am 95% sure this is Chinese crap. Personally, after spending bucks on a coin, it's not ending up in some junk holder.

When I was a novice collector, I purchased paper money holders (the plastic pocket kind) that turned out to be Chinese garbage. The plastic was full of imperfections, there was lint/dirt all over the holders, and they were optically distorting. Lesson learned.

Now I use only Saf-flip (spelled something like that, but NOT Safe-T-Flip which is a cheaper knock-off). It is virgin material, totally inert, archival, and clean. This is what PCGS uses and suggests for submissions.

How about these I use them for more expensive coins and they are also made in China. Never had a issue. I know this is not what the original poster is asking for I am just curious your thoughts on these single slab cases? They are no cheap but offer extra protection that I enjoy having. And easy to stack in a home safe or at the bank vault.

• Options
    edited April 15, 2022 6:59PM

@BSmith said:
    I've always used Eagle holders for my raw coins but I'm looking for something different. I was just

If you don't mind the wait and sending to Canada fro grading ICCS offers a great product and easy to store. They are #1 here in Canada for Canadian coins. They bring top dollar not so sure about world but like I said easy to store and safe.

These are not mine just an example:

And you can buy page sleeves for binders and they display well and you will be able to have 100's in the same binder. I know they use to have this product or maybe call a major coin dealer like say The Canadian Numismatic Company they may have some.

• Options

• Options

This is the brand I was looking at. Lighthouse Quadrum 2x2 Coin Holders.

• Options
    edited April 15, 2022 7:02PM

@BSmith said:

What country are you located in? As mentioned ICCS it top notch here in Canada.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for some random, odds and ends stuff.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@pruebas said:

How about these I use them for more expensive coins and they are also made in China. Never had a issue. I know this is not what the original poster is asking for I am just curious your thoughts on these single slab cases? They are no cheap but offer extra protection that I enjoy having. And easy to stack in a home safe or at the bank vault.

Here is my thinking. You should minimize the amount of different materials that hold your coins. For example, that slab suitcase (!) probably has cardboard, foams, glues, various kinds of plastics, metals, and perhaps oils used in the forming of the metal. Any one of them or all of them (except maybe for the metal itself) can have it's own kind of off-gassing and material decomposition by-products. The fewer types of materials used, the less one needs to think about.

I'm confident TPG slabs have had their materials vetted. And the TPG slab box too. So a PCGS slab in a PCGS box is a safe bet. Unslabbed coins can go in a Saflip holder inside a PCGS box. Large medals in a Ziploc bag (which is LDPE and safe) in a large NGC box.

That is just me though. I don't care to show my items in albums, etc.

• Options
    edited April 15, 2022 8:32PM

Additionally, you mentioned storing in the bank safe deposit box. I was just there today, so this is fresh in my mind.

I have a large SDB. It holds 14 NGC boxes (plus maybe 20 loose slabs on top). Or it holds 17 PCGS boxes (plus a 2x2 plastic box on top). Which do you think I prefer? 300 slabs vs. 340 slabs + 50 coins in 2x2s.

I would never use a slab suitcase since it takes up WAY too much space in an expensive safe (not to mention the potential off-gassing of the materials).

• Options

@BSmith said:

What country are you located in? As mentioned ICCS it top notch here in Canada.

I'm in the states and I don't want to spend that much per coin. I may send some stuff
    to PCGS some day but most will remain raw.

• Options
    RipVan_SmithRipVan_Smith Posts: 2
    edited May 18, 2022 2:32PM

@pruebas said:

BCW is an American company that DOES manufacture some of their products in China. These appear to be safe:

"Each coin protective case is made of inert, high-quality, crystal clear polystyrene, a 100% archival plastic that will not harm unpolished coins. "

I went with these instead of Lighthouse Quadrum or Guardhouse Tetra because of the white side - so my Brother P-Touch black on clear labels will show up.

• Options
    MaxfliMaxfli Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited May 18, 2022 7:55PM

@BSmith said:

I keep raw coins in Air-Tite capsules, and in turn store those in Lighthouse coin capsule album pages.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cucumbor said:
    Abafil trays all the way

I've always liked those for the ancients.