Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ticket stub collecting

I've started a decluttering project and have begun sorting out 30+ years worth of tickets. Mostly sporting events but some concerts. We have season seats to the local pro teams and I never discarded a stub, no matter how insignificant the game was.

Anyone else bitten by this bug?

Comments

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

:# guilty. I mostly collect vintage stubs from key events such as World Series, all star games, opening days etc. HOF HR’s etc

• Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

I am a big fan of collecting tickets. I would love to start getting in concert tickets.

This thread also needs some pics!

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

Great stubs!

• Options

I went to game 6 of the 2002 World Series between the Giants and Angels. I was a Barry Bonds fan rather than a Giants fan and watched him crush his 4th HR of the series, so I left at the 7th inning stretch with the Giants up 5-0 and a 3-2 series lead. Thankfully I missed the Angels late game come from behind win.

• Options

Few of my favs

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I made some good headway on significant event in Steve Garvey's career early on, but it has gotten hard to find any bargains anymore. I am not even talking about big events, like Perfect Games, 3000 Hits, etc. Everyone grabs a random stub, goes online and advertises their stubs with some odd event and asks a bundle.

"Phil Jones MLB debut. 1 AB! Ripken hit a double. Rare!!! L@@K!" Phil Jones would go on to play in 3 games in his career, and nobody cares about a Ripken double, Billy by the way, not Cal and that stub is worth nothing.

The above was a fake stub/description, but you should get the point.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2022 6:27AM

Cal Ripken Jr. hits for the cycle (only 2nd Orioles to do so)

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

Nice one IMF…full Ripken cycle ticket

• Options

My stub from 3/23/94 Gretzky's 802nd goal passing Gordie Howe.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of my concert tickets. The 1979 one was their last gig with the original members until their 1996 reunion tour.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

Here’s the one slabbed stub in my collection.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

The Seats where the ball Landed!!!

• Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

I have some from when I attended, some I bought…not many lately

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I've gotten into this a little bit lately. It's a heckuva rabbit hole to go down once you start. I've found a few tickets for under 10 each lately (Robin Yount's 1000th hit, Harold Baines first triple), but outside of that never really bought anything else. I've witnessed a number of memorable games (Nolan Ryans 300th win, Yount's 3000th hit, Ichiro's 500th stolen base).

I want to send my tickets in to get slabbed, but last year that price jump limited me to choosing between unopened packs and stubs, and I decided packs would probably cost more to sub in the long term, and I think I was right. Hopefully those fees come down a bit. I have a about a dozen or so to send in.

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Are concert tickets desired? I have lots of those too, but concerts are a bit different than a sporting event.

Metallica is going to play Enter Sandman every single show, and is there any true way to prove the first time they played it live?

Certain shows are going to be historic, like The Who concert where people were trampled, or the Pantera show where Dimebag Darrell was killed may be collectable, but those are based around tragedy. I'm sure Beatles tickets or maybe the Sex Pistols initial US Tour hold value, especially the San Francisco show, their last show before breaking up. Maybe something worth looking into.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2022 8:58AM

@totallyradd said:
    Are concert tickets desired? I have lots of those too, but concerts are a bit different than a sporting event.

Metallica is going to play Enter Sandman every single show, and is there any true way to prove the first time they played it live?

Certain shows are going to be historic, like The Who concert where people were trampled, or the Pantera show where Dimebag Darrell was killed may be collectable, but those are based around tragedy. I'm sure Beatles tickets or maybe the Sex Pistols initial US Tour hold value, especially the San Francisco show, their last show before breaking up. Maybe something worth looking into.

Well, as far as concert event moments to list on the flip... Ozzy- Bites head off bat!.....

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Here's a concert ticket that my wife has kept all these years. Hard to believe there was a time you could see The Beatles for only $3!

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

Grew up listening to WIXY 1260 AM...LOL

• Options

Found this in my closet - not rare but definitely a highlight moment.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@totallyradd said:

Some concert tickets are historically significant, this is probably the most famous/significant Seattle grunge show:

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I've kept every ticket from every game I've been to since about 1989. I keep them in a binder with the box score for that game. Never really kept them for value, just as a record of games I've been to. Turns out I've got a few pretty valuable ones in there, Altuve debut, Astros-Expos First JRD in 1997 which was Pedro Martinez win No. 1 from his Cy Young season. Also recently discovered I have Albert Pujols' first multi-homer game of his career and career homers 5 and 6.

As far a collecting tickets, I started a Chipper Jones Postseason HR collection. I had a couple from games I was in attendance for and have picked up a couple on eBay. I've got five of them at PSA right now, been there for a little over a year now.

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

As an Oregon Duck graduate, I collect Duck football tickets (any condition) and post them with a little game research on a Tumblr page. It's fun and (relatively) cheap.

https://duckstickets.tumblr.com/

• Options

Kobe's playoff debut Apr 25, 1997

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options

• Options

The final postseason appearances of Mike Trout's career. He did manage to collect his only postseason hit in this game, though - a first inning homerun.

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@rtimmer said:

@totallyradd said:

Some concert tickets are historically significant, this is probably the most famous/significant Seattle grunge show:

As a huge Pearl Jam fan, this is fantastic!! Thanks for posting it.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2022 7:17PM

I think tickets as collectables are awesome… they have so much history, naturally limited and look cool. Seeing them slabbed is even better. Sometimes it’s hard to know the significance of the ticket… makes it easy when it’s noted right on the slab. Love the Pearl Jam stub and the miracle on ice stub.

Here are a few of mine I also have the Kentucky derby triple crown ticket stubs except for 1919 and working on presidential inaugurations.
    First Pearl Jam concert I went to

Guns n Roses first show since breaking up

The most ridiculous ticket I got slabbed. The train ticket from my hometown to NYC on 12/31/99 and returning home 1/1/00. I always wanted to go to Times Square for New Year’s Eve so figured that was the time to do it.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

Question - for those who got their tickets slabbed by PSA, how long was the turnaround time? Thanks.

• Options

@oilers99 said:
    Question - for those who got their tickets slabbed by PSA, how long was the turnaround time? Thanks.

for the current $50 fee, I'm hearing it's about a month

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2022 5:02AM

In 1991 four Oriole pitchers contributed to a no hitter in Oakland (which is unusual in itself). After the game I wrote the A's a letter asking for an un-sold ticket to the game & they complied to my request.

Over the next couple years, I got it signed by all four pitchers & I don't believe another exists to be honest (Mike Flanagan unfortunately committed suicide in 2011):

IMF

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Ironmanfan said:
    In 1991 four Oriole pitchers contributed to a no hitter in Oakland (which is unusual in itself). After the game I wrote the A's a letter asking for an un-sold ticket to the game & they complied to my request.

Over the next couple years, I got it signed by all four pitchers & I don't believe another exists to be honest (Mike Flanagan unfortunately committed suicide in 2011):

IMF

Nice piece, you should have that sent back so that it gets graded and identified as the no hitter on the flip...

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few slabbed super bowl tickets and 2 more in Assembly at PSA right now, but my most unique item is this one - my sister went to the concert at the Igloo, ran into Jagr, and got him to sign the U2 ticket stub. I'm not a U2 fan, but I'm a huge Penguin fan.

Jim

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been collecting tickets for long time it seems. I mostly collect Pittsburgh Pirates and Steelers tickets, but here are some of my non-Pittsburgh ones. The 2001 Brady / Bledsoe ticket I am looking to sell

1980 Bird Magic Debut All-Star ticket stub auto'd

2005 Aaron Rodgers Debut Ticket Stub, it is currently at PSA to get the dual grade.

1983 Eric Dickerson breaking the NFL rookie rushing record. Auto'd

2001 Tom Brady replacing Drew Bledsoe after Bledsoe was injured. We can thank Mo Lewis for the great # 12 without the hit on Bledsoe, Brady would not be the Brady we all know.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

I saw LeBron James as a HS phenom at UCLA in 2003. He went 0-9 from 3s but his team beat Mater Dei still.

• Options

Bruce Springsteen was the very first performer at Staples Center in Oct 1999.

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Just sent this full rainbow of '66 Beatles Suffolk Downs tickets to PSA. Hoping for a couple of nice grades.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.