Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shield Nickel questions and Longacre Doubling question

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 8, 2022 3:05PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Are there any Shield Nickel enthusiasts here?

Does Anyone have resource recommendations for quality images of die varieties in the shield nickel series? CoinFacts is my typical go to, however, many varieties have no images.

Regarding “Longacre Doubling” do split serifs commonly occur with this effect? See pics, sorry for low quality, I cannot post full images. I see split serifs on many letters of this coin in addition to the Longacre effect. It sort of confused me viewing this as some letters seem doubled/split and others not. 🤷‍♂️

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Shield Nickel Viewer App is very good. And below is a good example of Longacre Doubling.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2022 3:17PM

@Aspie_Rocco said:

contact howard on his site for shield nickels. - he is whom you work with also for discoveries. i worked with him on the ones i have and it was a pleasure. he also guided me through his intricate process of imaging coins for his database and software.

i don't recall ever seeing any hub/die doubling related to longacre doubling but doesn't mean it isn't out there, just unlikely. seems like it would stand to reason that if all aspects of a die/hub are subject to legit doubling/tripling etc, the longacre effect should not be exempt from this.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2022 3:30PM

@jesbroken said:
    The Shield Nickel Viewer App is very good. And below is a good example of Longacre Doubling.
    Jim

I found that on a general net search, it seems there is a subscription required?

I am familiar with Longacre doubling in general, but it is the splits on the pics that had me questioning if it might actually be a doubled die, or just a different Longacre.
    Since the doubling in my pics does not surround the entire letter and has spilts it threw me for a “loupe”

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2022 8:52PM

http://www.shieldnickels.net/
    @howards here on the forum.

When I asked a few years ago, he did charge for the full version of The Shield Nickel Viewer, and there was no set price; the demo version is free.
    There is a fairly long list of varieties on the website, but generally few photos.
    Some very good articles on varieties there, though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file