Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Funny Mickey mantle story

My father was telling me of some of the funny Mickey mantle stories he has heard over the years. There have been many stories about him, whitey ford and billy Martin over the years. Not sure if this is true or just a tall tale but it is funny anyways. The story is that Mickey, whitey and billy wanted to go hunting and Mickey said he knew a farmer that lets him hunt on his land. As Mickey and whitey asked the farmer he said ok but that he has a cow that he needs to put down and would they mi nd shooting it for him because he couldn’t do it. As they were going to go tell billy they decided to play a joke on him. They told him that the farmer said no and that they were going to shoot his cow because of it. As they shot the cow they heard two more blasts from the other side of the barn. There billy comes running over and says he got two of his horses too.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Yes! I remember hearing that story. It’s been a while but I’m pretty sure it was Mickey himself that recounted that story in a documentary I watched some time a ago…

• Options
    Cubbies1416Cubbies1416 Posts: 55 ✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2022 6:37PM

I remember reading a hilarious story about Mickey Mantle when he was facing Sandy Koufax in the 1963 World Series. Koufax had what many consider to be the best 12 to 6 curveball in MLB history.

It was always said that you should avoid throwing Mantle curveballs, because he was so strong that he didn't need to get all of it to hit it out of the park.

Koufax threw two fastballs for strikes on the first two pitches. The third pitch, he decided to go with the curveball. Koufax threw the pitch, and it came in high, but then dropped in at the middle of the strike zone as it crossed the plate. Mantle never got the bat off of his shoulder as the umpire called strike three. Mantle turned to the catcher and says "Now how the f--- is anybody supposed to hit that s---?!"

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

Another one I heard was that Mickey had the day off the next day so he went out drinking that night. He was hungover/still drunk and was sleeping in the dugout. Casey Stengel was so pissed he told Mickey to wake up and grab a bat because he was pinch hitting. Mickey goes to the plate and hits a home run, rounds the bases and goes back to the dugout to go back to sleep.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options

Not so much a funny Mickey Mantle story but a Mickey Mantle that got away story. Back in the early 90s JC Penny would send out a xmas catalog and my mom would tell us to circle what we wanted. Well after flipping pages they had a sports collectors page and had signed baseball's. Well the 3 that I can remember were a dual father son Griffey ball, a Bo Jackson ball and a Mickey Mantle ball. The price of the Griffey Jr/Sr and Jackson was about the same price as a single measly Mantle. The more presents to open the better.So I circled the Griffey Jr/Sr and Jackson. Still kicking myself over that one.