Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

NLFS: Nolan Ryan RC - PSA 8 - Highest End

DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

This specimen compares favorably to many a PSA 9. I feel it is under-graded, and certainly as good or better eye appeal than any 8 around. Dead centered, with their caps and faces perfectly focused. Back is clean, just don't have a scan handy as card is in the bank. Can provide one if desired/interested. Thx.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

Comments

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

This is one of those cards where if you saw 100 of them, 95 to 97 would be OC LR.

This one is spectacular - thanks for sharing and good luck to your sale!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree flcardtrader. Centering is so problematic on this card that centered copies deserve a premium.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

That is a superb example.

• Options

Nice centered card but $12000....
    Thru the height of the craze wasn’t it $10-$11 k

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

It is an absolute beautiful card and I agree with Cakes. If you don't agree with price, PM with what you would want it for. It is his card and 12K is what he is looking for.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. Poor taste bashing price in a thread. Plus high end examples command a premium in price.

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2022 2:57PM

@KendallCat said:
    Agree. Poor taste bashing price in a thread. Plus high end examples command a premium in price.

That's ironic because that's exactly what you did to my sale thread a couple of years ago when i listed my 4 PSA 86 Fleer Jordan rookies for less than 10% over comps when they were going up daily. Your response triggered enough negative comments and messages for me that i deleted my post. It worked out because a month later, prices skyrocketed and sold one of the Jordans on eBay for $20,000 over what i listed it on here for.

That being said, this card that the OP selling is gorgeous. Good luck with the sale. The market will determine if this price is warranted.

Brian

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember that thread - you did a lot of crying back then and now here you are again ruining Matt’s sale in this thread. You were claiming “buy this card now which is a $7k card “ but all sales history showed it at $4500-5200.

You then pulled up my sale of a 56 Mantle trying to hurt it, and I posted actual history from VCP and not carnival barker speculation to show recent sales supporting my pricing of the card. It was not bashing your price - it was your making incorrect statements about the value which others called you out on and you deleted your comments in the thread which showed you were wrong. You then got all huffy and yelled at everyone on the board.

If you have an issue PM me and leave Matt’s sale thread alone. Matt - apologies for the distraction in your sale thread, and I will run some foul poles as punishment, but at least you got a free bump!

KC

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

No worries, KC, and thanks to those who like the card.

As someone who has always loved and collected the Nolan Ryan Rookie, I am very deeply into its nuances and quirks of eye appeal. As many of us know, tilt and centering plague the card, even most of the PSA 9s. Focus is also often an issue; that aspect that can slip by the eye unless one has a perfectly focused example beside a blurry one.

The fact is that this particular card compares favorably to many PSA 9s. I have always been a "buy the card" type of collector, who is happy to pay a significant premium for eye appeal. And in the rare times I sell, I employ that same philosophy. If there is a better looking 8 to be had out there for cheaper, that is awesome and someone should grab it for their collection.

I also feel the PSA 8 Ryan in high-end eye appeal state is currently quite undervalued, because the 9s are over $100,000.
    I believe top-end PSA 8s should eventually make a move to bridge the current gap. Time will tell if this hunch bears out.

All that said, I was floating this card for sale as I recently made a rather large, possibly "mid life crisis" purchase for my collection, LOL (will share that shortly in the main pickup thread), and so I was selling a couple of pieces to help offset the cost of the new centerpiece. I have a centered, signed Ryan RC in a 5/10, so figured this made a good candidate to sell, as it is technically a "double." Then again, one can never have too many Ryan rookies.

Having just parted with two big pieces toward that goal, I no longer need to offer this card for sale, and so intend to hold it for a while longer. Or at least until the final big card on my want list shows up and I'm forced to part with my remaining doubles!

mc

Instagram: mattyc_collection