Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Best book for Canadian coins

Which would be the best books to pick up on Canadian coins? I have the big world catalog. Looking for some more specific information. Say on coins from the 1800’s to the 1960’s

Comments

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

I would start with Charlton

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2022 11:05AM

Charlton is the way to go....and Haxby and Rob Turners books.
    but it depends on your personal collection interest. are you collecting real coins>>> or "all this new" only moneymaking for mint: stuff?
    I am sure you will get a few more suggestions here soon.
    And, subscribe to "Canadian Coin News".

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2022 2:39PM

I've used Charlton for years, but the Haxby/Wiley books I think are better and includes more than Charlton (like Bullion coins, test tokens and pre-confederation tokens). The Haxby/Wiley guide is much more inclusive than Charlton, but unsure if it comes out every year, but I know that there's a few. I know that there's books/guides from 2011 and 2022 and they include auction prices for many coins as well.

• Options
    RandomsRandoms Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Thanks! I had some eBay bucks so I'll start with Charlton

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

Charlton is the standard. It is typically what most dealers and collectors of Canada coins refer to. Followed by Canadian Coin News Trends. The Haxby reference is published yearly but it is not as popular as Charlton.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

On rare occasions, Mr Haxby comes into the B&M I work at. He’s a nice guy. 👍

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@syl said:
    I've used Charlton for years, but the Haxby/Wiley books I think are better and includes more than Charlton (like Bullion coins, test tokens and pre-confederation tokens). The Haxby/Wiley guide is much more inclusive than Charlton, but unsure if it comes out every year, but I know that there's a few. I know that there's books/guides from 2011 and 2022 and they include auction prices for many coins as well.

I, too, I looking for a good guidebook.
    I have found the 2022 Haxby/Wiley.
    Is that better than the solo Haxby work published by Whitman?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

Get the Haxby/Wiley. When Hax did the work with Whitman, it was a few years ago.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@syl said:
    Get the Haxby/Wiley. When Hax did the work with Whitman, it was a few years ago.

While I am not the OP, thanks for the advice. I have ordered the book from Wizard.
    Look forward to starting my new collecting path!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭

"Rob Turners books."

My books are worthwhile for those want in-depth knowledge of Canada Large cents. For a more general reference covering all the denominations, I would start with Charlton.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options

I got the new Charlton. Nicely laid out, good pictures, definitely recommend

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

However, please look at all pricing with extreme caution. A lot of changes happen from book to book and the actual market. Also be aware of pricing considering different grades. Know your Canadian grades.
    For more up-to-date pricing, eBay (yes, sold section @ ebay) is more indicative of current pricing.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

Are you saying that I can’t sell this coin I bought for $400, U.S., for $2000 Canadian? ;)

• Options

Yes, that's what folks are telling you. You can't sell a coin to a book publisher. You need a buyer with a wallet. And I don't know very many collectors that would ever pay what a book says for a coin, let alone an ungraded one..