Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Half Dime submission - question about varieties

Been a long time since I visited the message boards but have a question that hopefully you guys can answer for me quickly. Started working on a half dime set a while ago, long while ago, and I'm close to being ready to have them graded. I'm not certain whether some of them require the extra fee for the variety. Being listed in coinfacts with their own coin number makes me think it doesn't require the extra fee but I want to be sure.

Few examples, 1835 small date, small 5 and the others for 1835-1837
the 1849/6 ? 1858 over inverted date? 1845 repunched date?

Do these just get listed with the coin number and graded and labeled as such? or do they require the variety fee be added?

Thanks or any help.

I never met a coin that wouldn't fit in my collection.....

Comments

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I understand it, the variety attribution for half dimes (1794 - 1837) involves "Logan/McCloskey numbers".
    Reference

Take, for example, your 1835 H10C Small Date, Small 5C.

The base coin, PCGS #4285, would not require a variety attribution fee, because it is a "major variety".

Source

However, if you had a "die variety", as denoted by the "Logan/McCloskey numbers" LM-10 or LM-11, it would require a variety attribution fee.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

it used to be if listed in the redbook, don't need variety

another way to check is go to the population report, if you need to hit the + to see what you want, it is special and costs more