Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Purchased from Britain with duty fee?

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 30, 2022 12:21PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I read from this forum that coins from UK are no duty fee but I bought from UK royal mint twice with some fee. One is about 3K coin with 48 fee. Today I paid another one is 287.79. DHL did call it duty fee. Anyone know why? All I bought are modern coins. It took DHL a week to get the duty fee invoice ready.

Comments

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

DHL and FedEx charge paperwork filing fees. They charge a fee for submission of customs duty paperwork, even though there is no duty on imported rare coins. Sadly, this extortion appears to be legal, and worsening.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2022 1:51PM

@Nap said:
    DHL and FedEx charge paperwork filing fees. They charge a fee for submission of customs duty paperwork, even though there is no duty on imported rare coins. Sadly, this extortion appears to be legal, and worsening.

287 for paperwork sounds very high. The worst is DHL delay a week to get this done.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2022 2:08PM

I bought from dealer before, they used usps no fee at all.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is called Formal Entry. Anything valued over $2500 (I think that's the amount) is required to have formal entry, meaning a customs broker is required. Certain shippers provide this service as a time-saver for their customers, for which they charge a small fee. There should be no actual customs duty on coins, no matter tha value.

If you were charged $287, it sounds like the customs broker (the carrier in this case) filled out the wrong HTS code for the item and you were assessed a customs duty. It could be the fault of the carrier (most likely due to inexperienced staff) or the fault of the shipper due to improper or incomplete customs paperwork.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2022 2:36PM

Thanks. I am going to call DHL to find out about it. I don't think I am the only US customer bought from UK, so Royal Mint should know what to declare in the shipping paper. It must be DHL wants to charge more

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me also add that there is a very small percentage fee charged by US Customs based on the value of the shipment. This is not a duty, but a "user fee" or something like that. It is a pretty small percentage, but I don't remember what the amount is.

• Options

@pruebas said:
    Let me also add that there is a very small percentage fee charged by US Customs based on the value of the shipment. This is not a duty, but a "user fee" or something like that. It is a pretty small percentage, but I don't remember what the amount is.

Ok. Thanks. It is a hassle to contact DHL. Maybe that's user fee dhl charged me.

• Options

I talked to DHL, DHL said it is a processing fee by the US customs based on value.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

This feels like highway robbery to me; we need a modern day Robin Hood.

I received two separate shipments via DHL recently from the EU (two different jurisdictions within the EU). I was charged a fee going through customs for the higher of the two shipments: $44-ish.

It’s unclear what the fee exactly was for, but by now I just consider it part of the cost of the purchase. And if I don’t get charged — bonus!!!

But anyway, I think this is wrong at least in the sense that it’s not transparent enough.

If any private or governmental entity wants to charge me a fee, then I expect a clearly written invoice so I know what is happening.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

The $48 on a $3000 import sounds like just about exactly what the "Formal Entry" processing fee should be. I recall it being something like $40 minimum maybe 6, 7 years ago.

Either this $287 charge was on a MUCH higher value purchase... or DHL either does things a lot differently OR is doing improper paperwork for collectible coins.

FYI, my experience w/FedEx (always for invoices UNDER the Formal Entry value cutoff) is that they handled the Customs clearance for "free" (as part of postage). They would always make sure to send the customs clearance paperwork under separate cover, letting you know it was a courtesy they provided.

I have never been charged a customs fee for anything sent DHL from Germany or elsewhere abroad, but it was usually from smaller dealers/private individuals and typically under $1000 in value (and people often underdeclare value anyway).

• Options

I really don't like DHL. The guy just dropped the package on the porch without even brother to press the door bell. I am going to send an email to Royal Mint to complaint about DHL in the hope that Royal Mint will talk to DHL to get them to improve.

• Options

At this point of time couriers don't get the signature by blames on COVID is just bogus excuses.

• Options

I believe under $2000 (or maybe 2500?) declared value there is no fee. Over that and the fees start in the $40 range and go up with package value. There’s a formula to calculate it, I think it differs between the couriers.

• Options

@jt88 said:
    I really don't like DHL. The guy just dropped the package on the porch without even brother to press the door bell. I am going to send an email to Royal Mint to complaint about DHL in the hope that Royal Mint will talk to DHL to get them to improve.

Same thing. My wife was home and the car was visible. Delivery driver didn’t even bother.

The worst/funniest was a package a few months ago. I live on a wooded property. The delivery driver wrote on the signatory “A. Tree”. I couldn’t help but laugh, but still, wouldn’t have been so funny if the package disappeared.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

all your charges must be clear on your DHL invoice..
    they are there....just have a close look.
    and if your seller used the proper tariff codes... there should be no problem....

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2022 2:35PM

@YQQ said:
    all your charges must be clear on your DHL invoice..
    they are there....just have a close look.
    and if your seller used the proper tariff codes... there should be no problem....

I have never get a invoice from DHL. All DHL did was sending me an email with a link to pay for the fee. I am pretty sure Royal Mint should know what code to use.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2022 2:30PM

I just emailed DHL and left a one star feedback on consumeraffairs and better business site. I can't let DHL just get away with lousy services.