Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do I block an eBay seller?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 30, 2022 7:09AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am tired of seeing those phony "original rolls" with a 1922-D cent at one end and a VDB reverse or an Indian Head cent or some other contrivance at the other end.
Thanks.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use Advanced Search (upper right).

Scroll down to Sellers.

Check box next to 'Only show items from'.

Switch 'Include' to 'Exclude'.

Type in Usernames of the sellers you want to exclude in the empty box.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I remember correctly, you can block up to 5000 members.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2022 7:34AM

@MarkKelley said:

buyers don't work the same way as sellers. See @WQuarterFreddie

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is once you close out eBay, that request goes away. You have to go through those steps each time you search.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    The problem is once you close out eBay, that request goes away. You have to go through those steps each time you search.

Hardly worth the bother then.
    Thanks.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know the pain. A seller will list hundreds of worn-out coins- many with problems- when I search "lowball," and each time I 'block' that search, it'll pop up again the next time I try. Over the years, I've just given up and now know how to scroll quickly past his multiple listings.

peacockcoins

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 10 years ago i made up some unsearched penny rolls with 40% silver ikes pasted to the end and they never really took off the way i expected

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MarkKelley said:

buyers don't work the same way as sellers. See @WQuarterFreddie

I stand corrected, thanks.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@braddick said:

Thanks.

If you use your smartphone just keep the window open on your phone instead of closing it out each time. I have over 50 windows open on my phone!😂🤣

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@braddick said:

Thanks.

You can save searches which save the sellers excluded. Then just go to your saved search.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can only block 10 sellers at a time and it does go away if you leave ebay and come back. It sounds like alot to do, but if you are looking for that certain look or variety and you are flooded with the hundreds of auctions that are ESTATE finds or stock photos it is very pleasant to rid yourself of the endless photos that are posted by certain sellers. You can actually rid yourself of pages of coin photos no longer flooding the coin types.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just bid .01¢ on every one of his auctions. He'll eventually block you. Or ask him a lot of weird questions. That'll do the trick also.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@streeter said:
    Just bid .01¢ on every one of his auctions. He'll eventually block you. Or ask him a lot of weird questions. That'll do the trick also.

Like: “Please give me an inventory of this unsearched roll!”

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:

Do that with your throwaway account not the real one

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Develop your questions as if you are 10yrs old, found a penny in a parking lot and were a newly registered first time poster here or were a disgruntled alt here and wanted to mess with people.

Ask him what v.d.b. stands for and if it's on all Lincoln's.

Have fun with your coins.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask the seller ridiculous questions and make ridiculous offers. He will quickly block you. Problem solved.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2022 11:26AM

are you guys positive it is only 10? i could have sworn at one time (it was many years ago) i was also filtering out various sellers just to try a different process to try and get different results and that process entailed me blocking dozens (i thought) of various sellers and/or keywords. i'll have to dig into this as maybe something has changed.

i noticed that my blocktube for youtube is also acting up. don't you love when the world tries to force you to like someone or something, "FOR OUR OWN GOOD?!?!?!"

@CaptHenway

your solution MAY be in either blocking sellers in searches and/or keywords. you can like others said either save searches or perhaps bookmark/favorite a modified search page.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because a seller blocks you doesn't mean you won't see their items in your search results, ;)

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2022 11:33AM

is this what we are talking about here?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch

if so, i just did the following, to see how many characters the box would allow. (just stopped there as that would be significantly more than 10 sellers ids worth of characters. (NOW, that doesn't mean it will work 100% of the time, i still saw sellers occasionally from this method, same as with blocktube on youtube) sometimes tech has too many exceptions or isn't coded enough to be absolute, few if any things in life are.

i did save a txt file with sellers names, in alpha order to easily add/remove as needed.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the titles have consistent keywords (some sellers use very consistent verbiage), you can also exclude those. For instance, a search for "1922 lincoln cent roll -(stupidKeyword1, stupidKeyword2)" (no quotes) will exclude any item containing either stupid keyword.

Also, you can save your search once you do it once (with the sellers excluded) and then rerun it any time from your saved search list, and/or have eBay email you daily with new results.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@streeter said:

Like: “Please give me an inventory of this unsearched roll!”

Most likely they would give you the inventory of the "unsearched roll".
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file