Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New to grading, not sure why one of my submissions came back so poorly. Help please?

Hello my names Nolan and I'm new to the community. I just recently started grading some of my cards with PSA and could really use some help. The first 5 cards I sent out finally came back. 4 of the cards came back with grades close to what I would have expected but the 5th one has got me completely lost. I'd like to learn from the cards I've gotten back and the grades they received so I know what to look for in sending cards out in the future. However this 1986 Topps Garbage Pail Kids UK Mini #8a Adam Bomb Checklist Sticker I sent out came back a 5 EX and I'm seriously having trouble figuring out what could justify such a grade drop. I sent another 1986 Topps Garbage Pail Kids UK Mini #8a Adam Bomb Cheaters License Sticker in the same batch which I would have told you was clearly worse but it came back a grade higher. The 5 EX I received was straight out of a pack, 4 sharp new corners and the centering was 60/40 at its worst point which was the top/bottom. There's no gum staining or wax staining, it may look like there's something in the scans but its actually air bubbles being made because of the psa slab. ( The 3 Mini Stickers I sent/received all have the same air bubbles but when pressing the slab they clearly go away. ) The one thing that possibly could contribute but I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have is where the card was directly out of a pack, there was a very small amount of powder from the gum initially on the card, nothing stuck though. I didn't want to wipe it off and scratch the card with possible sugar crystals so I blew the dust off using the out flow of air from an air purifier in my house until there was no visible powder left on the card. Could this much of a grade deduction be from not wiping the card down? At the end of the day its not the biggest deal I missed on the grade, what's important to me is knowing why it happened so I don't do it again haha. If anyone with some experience could help me out and let me know what they think I'd really appreciate it! I attached a link to the scans from the PSA website of the card. Thanks!!

Answers

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Looks like a small surface crease top right corner. This is an automatic 5 if all else is good.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Because it is held in place by a plastic covering, I don't think we can tell from these pics. You're best bet is to tilt it in the light and look for a crease somewhere.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 5 usually means some kind of surface defect.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2022 7:22PM

• Options

Thanks so much for the responses, there definitely aren't any surfaces creases after reinspecting with a magnify glass. The spot in the top right corner you mentioned/circled is actually just a wicked thin air bubble made between the slab and the card but the scan does make it look like its something else. What I did notice upon reinspection was that the air purify's air output didn't blow the gum powder off completely like I thought. You can't see it with your eye but under a glass and light the powder is definitely visible and all over the front of the card. Would they dock that much for that? The powder can be easily wiped off like I mentioned earlier, I just didn't want to scratch the card wiping it so I tried blowing it off instead but clearly didn't work as well as I thought.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

No, you won’t get docked that much for dust. You’ll eventually find the surface flaw when angling to the right light.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nberg14 said:
    Thanks so much for the responses, there definitely aren't any surfaces creases after reinspecting with a magnify glass. The spot in the top right corner you mentioned/circled is actually just a wicked thin air bubble made between the slab and the card but the scan does make it look like its something else. What I did notice upon reinspection was that the air purify's air output didn't blow the gum powder off completely like I thought. You can't see it with your eye but under a glass and light the powder is definitely visible and all over the front of the card. Would they dock that much for that? The powder can be easily wiped off like I mentioned earlier, I just didn't want to scratch the card wiping it so I tried blowing it off instead but clearly didn't work as well as I thought.

If you are that certain, crack it out and send it in again. I have had cards come back similar to this and there was a problem that I missed.

If you have the card in hand and hold it up to sunlight, you will probably see a very minor defect. PSA is very good at what they do, BUT sometimes makes a mistake.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2022 1:31PM

I agree, when an otherwise mint looking card gets a 5, it's due to a small crease somewhere, even if it doesn't go all the way through. I've had a couple of those myself, I'm sure most collectors do actually, where you were expecting a 9 and got a 5. I immediately start tilting it in the light every which way and eventually find it.