Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ken Goldin and Drake opened a box of 1986 Fleer Basketball last night...

and aired it on Ken's Instagram account:

I've only watched a few minutes of it so far but it looks like they pulled three #57's and three MJ stickers.

Not gonna lie,I was waiting to see if that large glass of wine gets tipped over at some point and just ruining all of those raw cards lol.

Comments

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

They busted something like 15 cases of flawless as well, at 40K a box. Definitely a two tiered hobby today, more so then at any time in the past.

We have reached peak card IMO.

• johfrjohfr Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Who amongst us wouldn't want to have this kind of fun if we could afford it?

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Spot on. This is what I would buy and crack for the fun of it if I had the money.

• kobefan1kobefan1 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

He just jumps on whatever the new trend is. How many 86-87 fleer box did they open up? I see the pulled 3 Jordan rookies and 3 sticker rookies.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kobefan1 said:
    He just jumps on whatever the new trend is. How many 86-87 fleer box did they open up? I see the pulled 3 Jordan rookies and 3 sticker rookies.

Any legit 86 Fleer basketball box should have at least 3 of each in it and possibly 4.

• mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

When I opened mine in 1986 I pulled three Jordans. One had a factory wrinkle - of course, the only card in the box that had that issue. Still, the other two were really nice.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • kobefan1kobefan1 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:

@kobefan1 said:

Any legit 86 Fleer basketball box should have at least 3 of each in it and possibly 4.

Oh wow thank you learned something new.

• AANVAANV Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

@kobefan1 said:

@jfkheat said:

@kobefan1 said:

Oh wow thank you learned something new.

This is why a natural box vs a frankenbox commands such a huge premium. It is easy to determine what is in each pack based on the top card. Every legitimate pack follows a standard sequence 99% of the time.

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like it would have little interest/meaning if you could buy every card you want in any grade you want at any time, x10. Then what’s the point? The chase is the fun part. Finding good deals to build your collection, etc. with Drakes resources that aspect is out the window.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    No GI Joes?

It wasn't Pokemon.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the 60s, they would've been accused of "Conspicuous Consumption."

Mike
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    No GI Joes?

G.I. Jane 2? “Keep my wife’s name out of your f**king mouth.”

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    They busted something like 15 cases of flawless as well, at 40K a box. Definitely a two tiered hobby today, more so then at any time in the past.

Did they get anything good from flawless? Can you link that video?

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

General consensus is break was a bust from value standpoint - a few LaMelo RPAs and I think one logo man? The hosts were beyond obnoxious. And not in a charming way. I think the concept is promising, but the production values were horrible. I could see celebrity pack battles becoming a thing.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.

Estimates were that the returned about 175K in cards on 20+ cases. They got slaughtered.

@secretstash said:

@80sOPC said:

@80sOPC said:
    Estimates were that the returned about 175K in cards on 20+ cases. They got slaughtered.

@secretstash said:

@80sOPC said:

About the equivalent of me opening a $20 blaster box and getting $2 of commons. No biggie for D.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Sure, but pretty embarrassing for Panini. There wasn’t one card worth more then a third of the box price. On a sample that large, you’d expect at least one case to have a card or cards that could carry the case price.

@80sOPC said:
    Sure, but pretty embarrassing for Panini. There wasn’t one card worth more then a third of the box price. On a sample that large, you’d expect at least one case to have a card or cards that could carry the case price.

No kidding! Horrible value.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

I mean I'm all for gambling, will be in Vegas next weekend. But when I sit down to play BJ at least I have a shot at winning, these high end breaks are a joke, all the downside with with little to none of the upside.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    I mean I'm all for gambling, will be in Vegas next weekend. But when I sit down to play BJ at least I have a shot at winning, these high end breaks are a joke, all the downside with with little to none of the upside.

With Panini losing their license to Fanatics in a few years they're probably going to be printing cards like crazy until then making it an even bigger gamble pulling anything of value.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

We played pack wars in Vegas at $25 a pack in 1990ish. 4 of us each won a Jordan rookie. No one wanted the stickers so I took all the stickers and other cards, 3 Jordan stickers included. I had the Jordan’s graded many years ago. The rookie graded a PSA 7 and best sticker was an 8. Still have em

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.