Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Maybe it was signed by Gary Carter....but it really isn't anymore! :D

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Don't feel bad.. I have a Joe DiMaggio faded one also !
    Broke my heart.. Now I stick to cards signed. Sucks.

• Options
    GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

I can top that, though it's not worth taking a photo. (And I'm not at home now, anyway.) Back around 1987, give or take a year, I went to a show in Wilton, CT, where Lefty Gomez was signing autographs and got his signature on a ball with other A.L. HOFers of the 1930s through 1960s. In the coming weeks I noticed that the signature was beginning to vanish, and over time it disappeared completely. It was most likely an innocent mistake for him to be using that pen, but since Gomez was an infamous prankster I've always preferred to think of this as a joke he was playing. (Though since I was a teenager paying him some of my hard-earned cash it wouldn't exactly have been the greatest joke.)

The best part of that experience was seeing that he was signing with his RIGHT hand and asking about that. He responded that he grew up in that time when lefties were forced to write with their right hands.

I wonder whether looking at the ball under UV or some other light might bring out the signature.