Home Autographs Forum
Options

Quick question about PSA/DNA and CGC-encapsulated comics

Will PSA/DNA authenticate autographs through CGC plastic? Since CGC won't authenticate autographs (unless they're standing there when it happens) and PSA won't grade comics, was wondering if I could have CGC grade the comic, then have PSA/DNA authenticate the autograph through the CGC slab and put an authentic sticker on the back.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's something you might have to ask their customer service.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting question.

I only know a little about CGC because I sent a comic book in for a signing recently.

Why not do it in the reverse - have the autograph authenticated and then the comic book slabbed? (In that case, get a letter and not a sticker since a sticker on the comic would further reduce the grade).

I am not sure PSA will.grade something inside a holder. Too bad they don't join up to cover both services.

• Options
    dmg111dmg111 Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Why not do it in the reverse - have the autograph authenticated and then the comic book slabbed? (In that case, get a letter and not a sticker since a sticker on the comic would further reduce the grade).

I have at least one comic with the autographs on the inside first page, so I'll have to go that route with that one (a Wolverine #1 autographed by Frank Miller & Chris Claremont).

For the others, I'd just rather have everything there in one piece, so I don't lose part of it. ;)

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for an answer from PSA CS...

• Options
    dmg111dmg111 Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

Got a response - they said they'll do it B)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2022 3:18PM

That's great! I'm a little surprised, but that's great news!

They should let people know. That's a whole market that us untapped since CGC only labels signatures they witness.