Home Q & A Forum

Filling out the form, a question about the catalog number ....

mmmmmmmmmm Posts: 1
edited March 24, 2022 6:22PM in Q & A Forum

First, why does the submitter need to put in a catalog number on the forum? I know it may make it easier for the "grader" to identify a banknote or maybe track the banknote (and I am all for that), but wouldn't you think the first step in the process that PCGS would do would be to confirm the banknotes identify, without the opinion of submitter? Why would a grader trust the submitter opinion? I wouldn't trust me. I am terrible at it.

What if I am not sure if the banknote is "57a" or "57b" or "57Ab" and so I just put "57" on the form, would I be charged a fee if PCGS had to correct what I entered because I didn't put down the correct number down?

Or if I enter "57" but it turns out to be a similar note "128"? Would I get charged for misidentifying a banknote?

And what about if the banknote does not have an assigned "Pick number" because it is new or missed in the catalog? How do I fill out the forum for that?

I am missing the logic somewhere of why the submitter needs to identify the banknote if PCGS is suppose to be doing "grading / authentication."

So what do I do if I do not know the proper catalog number of a banknote?

Thank you,

Answers

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

This belongs in the US & World Currency forum instead of Q&A

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Anyway

Instead of being indignant, you could have simply asked the question without the “how about that?”

I’m on the coin side. Coin numbers are not required but does help with the order. As mentioned, there could be 57a 57b 57a-b. Should there be minuscule differences, you can plop in the right one to speed things along. Likewise for new issues. Should you make a mistake? It means they will correct it.

And in all of this, there is human error. It helps if you know which 57 it is so the two minds can meet. And it is possible the certifier makes a mistake correcting you.

I will say if it is a hard to nail down 57, definitely submit printed proof of cat. Number so you and the certifier can fight it out later if you two disagree.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

I’d still consult on the currency forum for advice. They may have additional info for all that I know

• numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

@mmmmm said:

What if I am not sure if the banknote is "57a" or "57b" or "57Ab" and so I just put "57" on the form, would I be charged a fee if PCGS had to correct what I entered because I didn't put down the correct number down?

Or if I enter "57" but it turns out to be a similar note "128"? Would I get charged for misidentifying a banknote?

And what about if the banknote does not have an assigned "Pick number" because it is new or missed in the catalog? How do I fill out the forum for that?

So what do I do if I do not know the proper catalog number of a banknote?

Thank you,

Don't overthink this. PCGS is going to properly identify the note, regardless of your attribution. The goal is to get as close as possible with the catalog number and the declared value. When you send in your notes, they will be entered into the submission system as you have indicated on the form.

Once your submission hits the grading room, the graders will adjust everything as needed to do it properly. The only time you will be charged a higher fee is if you undervalued the note and it belongs in a higher tier.

Personally, I like to put as much accurate information as possible. I believe that this helps the submission move through the system more efficiently.

Conversely, I know a few dealers who simply write the date, denomination and declared value. They are lazy and they want PCGS to do the work for them. They will even mix tiers on one submission form. This results in PCGS contacting the submitter to inform them that they had to split the submission into two tiers due to declared value problems. All of this does nothing but muck up the work flow at PCGS and increases how long your submission will take to be completed.

I prefer to play by the rules. In your case, just do the best that you can and you will be just fine.