Home Sports Talk

Hockey Guys...Opinions please

Hello!
I am producing a small set of 4 Hockey cards in the '57 format. Only four players.
Representing the 1960's: Bobby Hull?
Representing the 1970's: Bobby Orr?
Representing the 1980's: Wayne Gretzky?
Representing the 1990's: ??? Right now, it's Lemieux. Was anybody "better" or more popular?

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

Comments

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’ve got three of the four spot on.

Hull is not popular due to domestic issues. Maurice Richard , Jean Beliveau or Gordie Howe from the 60s is better

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Redwing in me throws a 90s vote for Yzerman.

• BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2022 10:09AM

@Goldenage said:
    You’ve got three of the four spot on.

Hull is not popular due to domestic issues. Maurice Richard , Jean Beliveau or Gordie Howe from the 60s is better

Howe had a '57 and Maurice was retired by 1960. Beliveau...man, I WISH there were a '57 of him. Perhaps I should make that card.

@DrBuster said:
    The Redwing in me throws a 90s vote for Yzerman.

Yzerman is the guy I wanted, Lol. I just couldn't reconcile it when I looked at Mario's sheer numbers.
    Heck, I felt bad for Paul Coffey in the 80's, Lol. He's basically Bobby Orr light and is virtually forgotten.
    Man, I love talking hockey. So few folks to do it with these days...

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coffey was great. 80s-90s hockey had some talent spread around for sure. Chelios too, I can't even pick. Throw Roy in there too, beast goalie, Chevy too.

Chelios was a favorite of mine (Blackhawks). Although my youngest son was born 5 years after Cheli moved on to Detroit, he remains his favorite player of all time.
    Are you a hockey collector?

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr Beliveau was one of the most respected players of his era.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howe
    Orr
    Gretzky
    Lemieux

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never been to a hockey game so pardon my ignorance. Please excuse.
    Why doesn't someone make a set with the nastiest ugliest enforcers?
    Show them toothless. Sort of like Jack Lambert photos.

Have a nice day

A set of Hockey Goons! Lol.
    I thought a set of "Lunch Box" players across all sports would be cool. Like guys that are known as ultra reliable or workmanlike.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuckHunter68 said:
    I thought a set of "Lunch Box" players across all sports would be cool. Like guys that are known as ultra reliable or workmanlike.

May I humbly suggest Craig Ludwig? I saw him defend a 5 on 3 for what seemed like forever without a change when he was in Dallas, and it was a thing of beauty. It still makes me a little sad to see John Klingberg wearing number 3.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Howe
    Orr
    Gretzky
    Lemieux

This is the right answer.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Messier, took NY by storm in the 90s...............

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/