Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Henry VI Groat

I won this Henry VI Groat today, I'd prefer a little higher grade but I love the look.

Henry VI Groat Leaf-pellet issue. Struck 1445-1454 London mint.

Comments

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 350 ✭✭✭

Nice coin. London mint coins aren't as common as Calais (although those weren't being produced by 1445), and tend to be lower grade. Leaf-pellet isn't the most common either.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my experience with HVI groats - the Calais minted coins are more common and better struck as @JohnConduitt notes above - but collector demand is also higher for them because they were minted in what is now France. I used to own an EF example of the Calais groat but sold it to buy more Scots.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

I've always found Henry VI to be an interesting subject, he was the youngest person to ever sit on the English throne, he was the only person ever crowned BOTH King of England and King of France and he suffered from serious mental health problems all his life. It is interesting how few books are devoted to him given all that was going on with his person and era.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • BSmithBSmith Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Coin arrived and I'm very happy, I think it has great eye appeal.

Thanks for the comments and information.

• BSmithBSmith Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@Nap said:
    Nice groat.

Here is mine, from Calais. Pinecone and mascle type.

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/me/bk1ozj8zfgul.jp

Nap, I was looking through your collection and it's amazing. Thanks for making
    it available. :)

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BSmith said:

@Nap said:
    Nice groat.

Here is mine, from Calais. Pinecone and mascle type.

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/me/bk1ozj8zfgul.jp

Nap, I was looking through your collection and it's amazing. Thanks for making
    it available. :)

Thank you for the kind words, I’m glad you enjoyed it.

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

I chased a MS63 version on the coin that went for over $3,000…..I gave up earlier but it kept rising. The finest example I had ever seen!