Home Q & A Forum
Options

Fairly new to coin collecting and could use some help/advice.

Hello fellow collectors! I recently acquired more time on my hands(retired) and decided to devote more time to collecting coins. I have been searching "unsearched rolls" that I buy from my bank. The most recent box I got is all pennies and I have only searched about half the box so far, I have found pennies dating 1960 - 1970 that look as though they are brand new. There are some that have tiny surface scratches suggesting they have been in circulation, however the amount of them is somewhat alarming to me. I almost feel as if they may be fakes, but how could they be coming from a bank. Has anyone out there had the same experience? I am doing lots of reading but I haven't found anything like this while reading about coin collecting. Thank you very much for your time and input.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cents don't always get circulated uniformly. They get hoarded, saved, accumulated - and then they get taken to the bank or dumped into the Coinstar.

Sounds like you got someone's dumped hoard.

• Options

That makes sense, thank you for the information! Perhaps I will try and help other collectors complete a penny collection. :)

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found cents and nickels in the 50's and 60's roll hunting that look like they are AU or better. They end up back in circulation when people have set them aside and now need to use them to make ends meet. I just smile when I find them and set them aside for my grandkids if they decide to collect coins like I did when i was 12. B)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    CentSearcherCentSearcher Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

I highly doubt that someone would have made fake Lincoln cents from the 60s and 70s, they were probably sitting around somewhere for a very long time

• Options
    DallifeDallife Posts: 71 ✭✭

How do you get unsearched coins from the bank?

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dallife

If you go to the bank and get a roll of coins that has not been grabbed by a customer oh, but wrapped by company like Loomis and Wells Fargo oh, then you might consider that rap troll unsearched. All the coins in that role with probably already been looked at by somebody but they weren't important enough to that person to actually take them out of circulation. The coins made out of gone to the hands of a collector just a normal everyday Citizen and then you might find coin and there are some interest to you. I like the roles that I refer to his farm fresh they aren't say like brand new 2022 Pennies from one end of the Roll to the other end. I prefer a roll coins is wrapped by a company like Loomis where all the coins of come out of circulation but nobody's actually look through that particular role. Nickel rules are found or nickels and quarters and dimes rolls I found silver coins and in pennies I have found error coins. Just go to the bank and get the rolls and just start look into the roles and

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    DallifeDallife Posts: 71 ✭✭

@JWP said:
    @Dallife

If you go to the bank and get a roll of coins that has not been grabbed by a customer oh, but wrapped by company like Loomis and Wells Fargo oh, then you might consider that rap troll unsearched. All the coins in that role with probably already been looked at by somebody but they weren't important enough to that person to actually take them out of circulation. The coins made out of gone to the hands of a collector just a normal everyday Citizen and then you might find coin and there are some interest to you. I like the roles that I refer to his farm fresh they aren't say like brand new 2022 Pennies from one end of the Roll to the other end. I prefer a roll coins is wrapped by a company like Loomis where all the coins of come out of circulation but nobody's actually look through that particular role. Nickel rules are found or nickels and quarters and dimes rolls I found silver coins and in pennies I have found error coins. Just go to the bank and get the rolls and just start look into the roles and

Thank you