Home Sports Talk
Options

Dominos starting to fall. Matt Ryan to Indy

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a 3rd

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2022 11:14AM

Atlanta was due to pay Ryan a 7.5M roster bonus in the next couple hours so this deal had perfect timing. Do they go after Mayfield or Garoppolo?

edit: this trade leaves ATL with an NFL record of 40.5M in dead money by moving Ryan now. Lol yikes.

• Options

New Orleans resigns Winston to a decent payday.

Leaves Carolina, Seattle and Atlanta in need of a QB.

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

No real rumors in ATL on who we'll go after outside of what all has been discussed here that I've heard. Lot's of 'I dunnos' going around.

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    No real rumors in ATL on who we'll go after outside of what all has been discussed here that I've heard. Lot's of 'I dunnos' going around.

My peeps are suggesting Marcus Marriota to the Falcons. Maybe draft a QB in addition

m

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa!......interesting development......

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Atlanta was due to pay Ryan a 7.5M roster bonus in the next couple hours so this deal had perfect timing. Do they go after Mayfield or Garoppolo?

Good question!..... I think we'll know very soon.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2022 12:18PM

The Carson Wentz saga continues........😵

The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant has cute little nicknames for every NFL quarterback. Most are not very flattering...... For Wentz it's, "Cry Baby." Every time we watch a Colts game, she says over and over, "Doesn't he look like a cry baby?"..... But......she does have a soft spot for Jimmy G. He's "The Hunk!"....... And then of course, Terry Bradshaw.......with him she's conflicted.....he's either, "My Boyfriend. " 🙋..or.." That Fat Old Man."🙍

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

So much for Mayfield going to the Colts.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2022 12:39PM

@Hydrant said:

@erikthredd said:

Good question!..... I think we'll know very soon.

I asked that before I read that the Falcons are going to have 40M in 2022 dead cap space (for Ryan alone/ team total is 62M) after trading Matt Ryan. That makes trading for a high paid QB difficult unless they want to pay:
    67M for Garoppolo on top of Ryan's dead money and not including the backup QB salary.
    59M for Mayfield on top of Ryan's dead money and not including the backup QB salary.

It might make more sense to either draft a QB or go with a cheaper FA option and/or both.

• Options

Falcons agree to terms with QB Marcus Mariota on two-year deal. Don't know the terms yet

m

• Options
    edited March 21, 2022 1:12PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Falcons agree to terms with QB Marcus Mariota on two-year deal. Don't know the terms yet

m

Yes, I just read that too......I don't really see it as much if any of an improvement for Atlanta..... whatever..... I wish the kid the best.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

I did not see Mayfield or Garoppolo as an equal or upgrade on Ryan. Mariota, we will see but he will be much cheaper and at minimum serve as a bridge to a younger qb so it makes sense. As a Duck fan, I am happy to now say I have 2 teams to watch this year, Chargers and Falcons........... Too bad Marcus did not end up in Seattle tho.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Mitch Trubisky signed with the Steelers.
    He had a year in Buffalo and commented on he saw how a real organization was run. Not sure if it’s a jab at the Bears but???

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2022 5:52PM

@spacehayduke said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

I did not see Mayfield or Garoppolo as an equal or upgrade on Ryan. Mariota, we will see but he will be much cheaper and at minimum serve as a bridge to a younger qb so it makes sense. As a Duck fan, I am happy to now say I have 2 teams to watch this year, Chargers and Falcons........... Too bad Marcus did not end up in Seattle tho.

I think Matt Ryan was terrible last year but no worse then Philip Rivers was his last year in Indy so there is that. Actually Ryan has been bad the last 3 years. He doesn't/ can't throw for TD's. Only 20 last year which is awful. I'd much rather have Jimmy G or Baker over Ryan.

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@spacehayduke said:

I think Matt Ryan was terrible last year but no worse then Philip Rivers was his last year in Indy so there is that. Actually Ryan has been bad the last 3 years. He doesn't/ can't throw for TD's. Only 20 last year which is awful. I'd much rather have Jimmy G or Baker over Ryan.

m

Actually, none of them float my boat, maybe Ryan say 6 years ago...............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:

@Justacommeman said:

@spacehayduke said:

m

Actually, none of them float my boat, maybe Ryan say 6 years ago...............

Not a huge fan of any either. Ryan in his day I suppose

m

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Colts should have gone with Mayfield for a year, the Ryan signing makes zero sense, they have a good enough team to make the playoffs and an aging Ryan isn’t upping their chances. Mayfield for a season to see what he has would have made more sense

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2022 5:54AM

A lot of my Falcon superfanboy friends are none too happy with the Mariota signing. I'm on the fence, he was good in college, will have to see if he can step up here in the ATL.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

let's keep it very real for a moment. if you're a Colts fan, or a Falcons fan, or a Broncos fan, and any of these fresh acquisitions of stale QBs send a thrill up your pant leg, it's honestly time to step outside for some fresh air and re-evaluate your life. i can almost guarantee you have countless blessings, but having Matt Ryan (!), Marcus Mariota (!!) or an on-the-verge-of-declining Russell Wilson as the new signal-caller of your team is not among them. even pulling a rip van winkle and taking a nap for a few years would not be the worst idea in the world, because there's a better chance of a nightmare occurring on the football field rather than in your dreams

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    let's keep it very real for a moment. if you're a Colts fan, or a Falcons fan, or a Broncos fan, and any of these fresh acquisitions of stale QBs send a thrill up your pant leg, it's honestly time to step outside for some fresh air and re-evaluate your life. i can almost guarantee you have countless blessings, but having Matt Ryan (!), Marcus Mariota (!!) or an on-the-verge-of-declining Russell Wilson as the new signal-caller of your team is not among them. even pulling a rip van winkle and taking a nap for a few years would not be the worst idea in the world, because there's a better chance of a nightmare occurring on the football field rather than in your dreams

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Mitch Trubisky signed with the Steelers.
    He had a year in Buffalo and commented on he saw how a real organization was run. Not sure if it’s a jab at the Bears but???

It’s fair to say it was a definite jab at the Bears lol.

No excuses for Trubitsky now

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    A lot of my Falcon superfanboy friends are none too happy with the Mariota signing. I'm on the fence, he was good in college, will have to see if he can step up here in the ATL.

He had one good year in the NFL. He's had several bad years. I just don't see him even being average.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@DrBuster said:

He had one good year in the NFL. He's had several bad years. I just don't see him even being average.

Hi first game in the NFL in 2015 was perfect, his qb rating was 158.3, 4 TDs no ints, 42 points and destroyed TB. All looked good, then he had rookie mistakes from thereon. In the next few seasons, he kept getting hurt and that hampered his development within the Titan system. If he can keep the injuries to a minimum, he might get a year with a rating over 100 and a qbr of >60 as he has worked in their Off system when he was a Titan and had O coordinator Arthur Smith (who I am sure provided key insight for signing Mariota). Would put him in the upper tier of starting QB's is that happens. Sometimes the qb needs the right system to be at their best, this might be why Mariota agreed to sign with Atlanta............

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

Hi first game in the NFL in 2015 was perfect, his qb rating was 158.3, 4 TDs no ints, 42 points and destroyed TB. All looked good, then he had rookie mistakes from thereon. In the next few seasons, he kept getting hurt and that hampered his development within the Titan system. If he can keep the injuries to a minimum, he might get a year with a rating over 100 and a qbr of >60 as he has worked in their Off system when he was a Titan and had O coordinator Arthur Smith (who I am sure provided key insight for signing Mariota). Would put him in the upper tier of starting QB's is that happens. Sometimes the qb needs the right system to be at their best, this might be why Mariota agreed to sign with Atlanta............

That has to be the best pro debut of all-time. Didn't realize he'd jumped out so fast.

He still played 15 games in 2017 but his TDs were cut in half (26 to 13) and his INTs almost doubled (9 to 15). Even with injuries, that's a pretty bad regression for a third-year quarterback. Was kinda just "eh" in 2018 and he's been wandering in the wilderness ever since.

I HOPE he does well. Loved watching him at Oregon.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

TB resigned playoff Lenny. they are quietly retooling. if they can resign one of the DL I think they will be ready for a SB run.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.