Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Grade N6 – Should I Try Again?

Greetings. First, I am far from a card expert. I inherited a collection and am looking to sell it and do the best I can financially. I have learned enough to know that some of the cards are worth the time and expense to get graded. I recently sent in my first group of cards to be graded to PSA. They all were graded fine but one of them (1981 Topps Joe Montana rookie) came back with a…

N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT

I can guarantee that the card was never trimmed as the set it was part of was purchased in 1981 and has never left the house where it was stored since. In my research, I see where sometimes cards are cut smaller than they should be by the factory. I’m assuming this is the case here.

My question is, is it worth my time to send this card back to PSA to be re-graded? Send it to another grading service? Or just sell it raw as is? I would like to send it back to PSA if there’s a decent chance it’ll get graded this time but I don’t know how that works?? I have not received the card back yet so cannot measure it to see what the exact measurements are. Otherwise the card was in very nice condition. I’ll have $29 into PSA already for the insured shipping to return it to me.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!!

Comments

• Options

Here's some photos for reference...

A1a.jpg 117.8K
    A2.JPG 92.7K
    A3.JPG 78.6K
    A4.JPG 97.8K
    A5.JPG 116.5K
  • Options

Although we all know that card grading is a subjective science at best, measuring the card is a fairly basic and simple process. Personally, I wouldn't feel confident about re-submitting unless you have re-measured and re-measured and truly believe an error was made. That being said, if you decide to sell ungraded, I personally feel there is an ethical obligation to disclose all that you know about the condition of the card. Best of luck.

Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2022 10:42AM

There's a few things you can do here: the first is, resend it. There's many that have sent in minsize cards a few times and said eventually they go through. However grading fees are high right now, and I'm almost certain that each try they will charge you. The plus side is that minsize should at least guarantee authenticiy.

The other option is to go through another grading company. I actually just ran into this issue with a Rickey Henderson rookie. I sent it in 3 times and each time it came back as minsize, so I'm trying another company as it seems like they will slab it. Turn around is 4-6 weeks too.

Good luck!

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Send to SGC , it's only 27 dollars and you will get it back in 2 months. It will at least let you know the grade and if is too small. Then perhaps, crack and re-submit to PSA. PSA may then have lower prices .

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1959 said:
    Send to SGC , it's only 27 dollars and you will get it back in 2 months. It will at least let you know the grade and if is too small. Then perhaps, crack and re-submit to PSA. PSA may then have lower prices .

I agree with 1959 and totallyradd. If it's trimmed, SGC will still slab the card with an "A" (Authentic) designator. I would think a slabbed authentic Montana rookie would be easier to sell than a raw card.

Also, SGC is affordable and fast. My last order was $30 per card with a 3 week turnaround.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Unless the policy has changed (I haven’t submitted since they jacked prices) you are only charged shipping, not grading, for N6. For a card like the Montana rookie I would send back and try again. It’s not objective as some might say- I have personally resent N6 that came back second time PSA9.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

If PSA is taking photos of certain higher priced cards, Montana may be one of them , and you might not be able to sneek it past them if they have graded it before.

• Options

All good information for me to know. Thank you all for the comments. I have the entire 1981 it came from. I'm going to compare it to other cards in the set as far as size... I'm assuming that the entire set can't be cut small can it?? Thank you!

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    Unless the policy has changed (I haven’t submitted since they jacked prices) you are only charged shipping, not grading, for N6. For a card like the Montana rookie I would send back and try again. It’s not objective as some might say- I have personally resent N6 that came back second time PSA9.

Correct. PSA only charged me $29 for S&H.

• Options

@Chicago1976 said:

@1959 said:

I agree with 1959 and totallyradd. If it's trimmed, SGC will still slab the card with an "A" (Authentic) designator. I would think a slabbed authentic Montana rookie would be easier to sell than a raw card.

Also, SGC is affordable and fast. My last order was $30 per card with a 3 week turnaround.

Thanks! I think I might just go with SGC.