Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Varieties expert needed!

I have discovered of a mint error for a popular key date... Whom should i speak with about receiving the credit for the find before sending it for grading if possible?

Answers

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picture please

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would depend on the series, a new Morgan error would be attributed by a different person than a Jefferson nickel.

If you post a photo the members here can help to confirm the error and point you in the right direction.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinenigmatix said:
    Varieties expert needed!
    I have discovered of a mint error for a popular key date...

A mint error is not a die variety. Please post a photo to get things started.

• Options

Now before anyone says anything like its just a nick on the halo keep in mind that I have a few different examples of this same error in both circulated and uncurculated condition never the less of the same mint error... Of which I have done my homework on extensivly. This is an incredible discovery that's why i need contact information for someone who can help credit me for the find before I send them off for grading!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

:s

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like damage to the rim (it's called the rim, not the "halo").
    If the pattern is exactly the same on multiple coins, I would be surprised.
    But it could be caused by a machine that counts or rolls the coins.
    If so, it is not likely to be damaged at exactly the same spot on the rim each time.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinenigmatix said:
    Now before anyone says anything like its just a nick on the halo keep in mind that I have a few different examples of this same error in both circulated and uncurculated condition never the less of the same mint error... Of which I have done my homework on extensivly. This is an incredible discovery that's why i need contact information for someone who can help credit me for the find before I send them off for grading!

The photos are a bit blurry, but from what I see you have a coin with rim damage. Nothing more, nothing less. For the marks to be incuse (like what I see in the photos), then the obverse die would have to have raised lines. How is that possible?

However, I understand that you found the exact same rim marks on other examples of this date/mint Lincoln cent. Can you please show the other coins with the same marks using photos in the same orientation? Without it, we cannot proceed.

Now lets talk about numismatic terminology. A "mint error" is a sort of mechanical error during the striking process, For example, coins that are struck off-center, a blank planchet, a dime struck on a cent planchet, a brockage, or a double struck coin. There are many types, and each mint error is unique in some way. Conversely, a "die variety" is a coin that can be forensically tied to a set of dies with specific characteristics; every coin struck from a set of dies will mirror the surfaces of the dies. Think 1955 Doubled Die cent (hub doubling), or an 1888-O "Scarface" (die deterioration) Morgan dollar.

Regarding your desire to receive credit for your discovery, there's nobody who can officially do that, other than proclaiming it in a public forum. Many, many numismatists have made die variety discoveries over the years. I have and many others here have as well. There are no awards or financial compensation, other than a possible mention in a reference book or an article. Perhaps the best reward is having your name tied to a discovery. For example, when Tom Delorey discovered the "Cheerios" Sacagawea dollar pattern 20+ years ago. Who could forget that?

Please provide a bit more info and someone here will surely help you.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinenigmatix said:

your pictures are too poor to say anything, and I'm guessing it's something like rim restricted second strike.

either way, too blurry and they are blown up to the point we can see pixels... and those pixels obfuscate the determination of what is there and what isn't there

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file