Home Q & A Forum
Options

A quick question about acetone.

bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the process of cleaning up some coins with acetone. My question is about the duration of soaking a coin. I have a 43 D nickel sitting in acetone for the second day in a row. The coin has several small dark green spots that I'm certain are PVC. I've changed out the acetone 2 times and each time I come back a day later to greenish acetone. I assume this is the solvent slowly breaking down the spots since they appear to be slowly shrinking. My question is should I just soak this until my acetone isn't green anymore? Is there any harm that will come from soaking multiple days or a week? My last question is how do I determine the purity of my acetone? I got some from home depot but see no real mention of purity.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure the acetone at the Depot is pure. If the green spots are getting smaller, then the acetone is dissolving it. You can't hurt the nickel by leaving it in the acetone for a week, IMO. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Pretty sure the acetone at the Depot is pure. If the green spots are getting smaller, then the acetone is dissolving it. You can't hurt the nickel by leaving it in the acetone for a week, IMO. Good luck. Peace Roy

Thanks. That perfectly answered my question!