Home Sports Talk
Options

Watson to the Browns is being reported

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 18, 2022 12:51PM in Sports Talk

Stunning reversal if true

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options

5 years. 230 million. All guaranteed. Amazing

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a turn around from yesterday! Very surprised, but that certainly resolves the Mayfield issue and probably Keenum is gone too.........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

going to be a lot employed masseuses in Cleveland

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

The cost. 3 firsts. 1 third. Maybe 1 5th

m

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Man that's a large price tag, I hope he plays as well as he did here in Houston when he had Hopkins. Cleveland is a better team than he played on in Houston. Geeeshhhh

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I think this may be good for Cleveland for a year or two then everything goes South.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

The trade is reportedly three 1sts, a 3rd & a 5th plus close to a quarter of a billion dollars,all guaranteed. talk about a gamble lol.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    The trade is reportedly three 1sts, a 3rd & a 5th plus close to a quarter of a billion dollars,all guaranteed. talk about a gamble lol.

I don't see it as much as a gamble, DW was incredible his last 2 years in H-town on a team with zero talent. He is elite, Cleveland has more talent. Watch out..........

Also, I suspect a couple players will be thrown in to the deal from C-town - the original expectation from the Texans was the number 6 - combine of draft picks (at least 3 1's.......) and lower picks plus players. It could be the Browns throw in Keenum, he would be a great mentor to Davis MIlls and he would be coming home (maybe lining him up as a future coach, everyone says he will be someday). Texans can probably get him for free when he is cut, but that will make it look like the number 6 if he is in the trade which was their expectation.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2022 9:24PM

Sounds like a good deal for somebody.... other than that, the Browns will still be the Browns......Boring.

• Options

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/browns-remaining-2022-nfl-draft-picks

"Browns remaining 2022 NFL Draft picks
    A look at the draft picks left for the Cleveland Browns in the 2022 NFL Draft, after the blockbuster trade.

Brandon Little
    1 hour ago

Cleveland Browns traded a ton of draft capital to land star quarterback Deshaun Watson. Cleveland gave up three first-round picks, a third-round pick and a fourth round pick. Browns received a fifth-round pick back from the Houston.

Browns are giving up just one kick in the 2022 NFL Draft, their first rounder. Cleveland will give up a first and third-rounder in 2023, then a first and fourth-rounder in 2024.

Cleveland is getting back the Texans fifth-round pick in 2024.

Following the trades for Deshaun Watson and Amari Cooper, this is where the Browns stand for 2022:

Round 2 | Pick 44
    Round 3 | Pick 78
    Round 3 | Pick 99 (compensatory selection)
    Round 4 | Pick 107
    Round 4 | Pick 118
    Round 6 | Pick 202 (from DAL)
    Round 7 | Pick 223

Brandon Little is a writer for Sports Illustrated’s Browns Digest website and you can follow him on Twitter here. You can follow Browns Digest on Twitter as well here."

So Cleveland is going to still have alot of draft capital and they will probably get something for Mayfield. They picked up Keenum's bonus today so he is on the roster as of now. Cleveland just made itself a contender assuming Watson is allowed to play this year. Wonder whether they move on from Keenum or if he is going to be the backup.....

• Options

Houston is now sitting pretty in this draft and we pretty much need everything except qb:

"Houston Texans draft picks in 2022

Round 1 | Pick 3
    Round 1 | Pick 13 (from Cleveland)
    Round 2 | Pick 37
    Round 3 | Pick 68
    Round 3 | Pick 80
    Round 6 | Pick 183
    Round 6 | Pick 205
    Round 6 | Pick 207
    Round 7 | Pick 245

Houston already had quite a haul of draft choices prior to the trade, as they were set to pick four times in the first 80 selections. They already owned the third overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft as well as three early Day 2 selections. It was safe to say they were expected to come out of the draft with a dramatically improved roster.

Now, after adding five new picks courtesy of the Browns, they’re in the conversation with the Philadelphia Eagles as the best candidates to emerge from the draft as winners given their capital. Houston now owns Cleveland’s first-round pick, No. 13. They received four other draft picks from Cleveland: first-round picks in 2023 and 2024, as well as a 2023 third-round pick and a 2024 fourth-round pick.

Unlike the Eagles, however, the Texans have a slew of needs. One of them could be considered a quarterback if they’re not sold on Davis Mills.
    Houston Texans 2022 NFL Draft team needs

As much as they may like Mills, the Texans need to secure a face of the franchise at team sports’ most important position: quarterback. Their secondary needs reworking, and their receiving corps needs more than one new option.

Not listed as one of their top needs, however, is the offensive line group, despite the fact that Houston’s front five could use reworking at just about every position opposite Laremy Tunsil.

Quarterback
    Edge Defender
    Cornerback
    Wide Receiver
    Safety"

2022 will be a building year. What is not mentioned above is RB and of course OL, only the linebacker core is 'okay'. And that assumes Davis Mills is going to be THE qb. Laremy Tunsil has been a bust for what they paid for him in draft picks. I don't think Caserio is sold on him, and there is talk that he wants to move down from the #3 spot, we might see that happen to pick up a lower 1 and possibly a 2, so then we would be talking 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, and that is just the start of their needs.

• Options

Houston will be able to build cheap through the draft with a bunch of high picks on rookie contracts. Their future is much brighter then it was yesterday

m

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2022 5:16PM

@Justacommeman said:
    5 years. 230 million. All guaranteed. Amazing

m

That is “I’m willing to play for the Browns” money

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Houston will be able to build cheap through the draft with a bunch of high picks on rookie contracts. Their future is much brighter then it was yesterday

m

The future was much brighter for them once they got rid of that moron Bill O’Brien

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder what happened between yesterday and today to Make Watson change his mind? Couldn't have been them 230 Million reasons could it?????????

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Wonder what happened between yesterday and today to Make Watson change his mind? Couldn't have been them 230 Million reasons could it?????????

Probably because all the money is guaranteed. Just a guess

m

• Options

Well let's hope all the guaranteed money doesn't hinder his desire to win.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Well let's hope all the guaranteed money doesn't hinder his desire to win.

He will be able to leave bigger tips now

m

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2022 10:34PM

I don't have a good feeling about this one. He's likely to be suspended in the near-term and I am not sure of him to begin with... Sure, he's a talent, but he hasn't played in a while and is surely going to be distracted with all the other BS going on. I wouldn't have gone there if I was the owner. Getting rid of Mayfield is one thing but bringing in a such an expensive can full of worms may not be the best approach. JMO

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

i also heard that there could be a suspension upcoming. they were talking around 6 games on the radio yesterday. of course that is just speculation.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

The future was much brighter for them once they got rid of that moron Bill O’Brien

BOB really messed up that team, he was intolerant of player personalities that were not exactly what he expected, hence the d-hop trade that sent the spiral downward. I don't think there was a single person in H-town remaining that didn't say 'don't let the door smack you in the **s on your way out' when we were finally rid of him.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    [ Probably because all the money is guaranteed. Just a guess ]

That's what the Cleveland Sports Talk "experts" are claiming.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    He will be able to leave bigger tips now

As long as he doesn't try to rub his "Bigger tips" on the massage therapists he'll be OK in Cleveland.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

this move reeks of desperation from an incompetent franchise that clearly does not know how to evaluate talent........especially at the quarterback position

first it was johnny mayfield, then they got drunk and drafted his stepbrother baker manziel, now they are mortgaging the farm for D-Wat

there's no denying his talent, but it should never have come to this for the Browns. they have had countless years to get it right, yet they muck it up every chance they get. they make the Chicago Bears' brass look like Nostradamus' offspring

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    this move reeks of desperation from an incompetent franchise that clearly does not know how to evaluate talent........especially at the quarterback position

first it was johnny mayfield, then they got drunk and drafted his stepbrother baker manziel, now they are mortgaging the farm for D-Wat

there's no denying his talent, but it should never have come to this for the Browns. they have had countless years to get it right, yet they muck it up every chance they get. they make the Chicago Bears' brass look like Nostradamus' offspring

😂😂😂👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

• Options

Wonder if Cleveland read this before they put all their eggs in the basket? With the Browns bad luck with QBs......

"A grand jury has declined to indict Watson following a police investigation - BUT the civil procedures involving the Texans quarterback and the 22 women are still ongoing.
    The NFL has not yet decided if Watson will face suspensions and other penalties related to the allegations."

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Wonder if Cleveland read this before they put all their eggs in the basket? With the Browns bad luck with QBs......

"A grand jury has declined to indict Watson following a police investigation - BUT the civil procedures involving the Texans quarterback and the 22 women are still ongoing.
    The NFL has not yet decided if Watson will face suspensions and other penalties related to the allegations."

I’m sure they were in touch with the league and a slap on the wrist is in order. No way they spent that kind of money without a guarantee. After all this is the NFL where if you’re a big enough star murder is just a bump in the road. Fill the seats at any cost.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    I’m sure they were in touch with the league and a slap on the wrist is in order. No way they spent that kind of money without a guarantee. After all this is the NFL where if you’re a big enough star murder is just a bump in the road. Fill the seats at any cost.

True, guess we'll see how much Goodell likes Jimmy and Dee Haslam.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

In the current "woke" NFL, he will get suspended for a while. Got to appear that you "care".

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be flabbergasted if there is not a suspension.

• Options

Keenum to the Bills, so who is going to back up DW? Do they seriously think BM will stick around as back up?

• Options

@spacehayduke said:
    Keenum to the Bills, so who is going to back up DW? Do they seriously think BM will stick around as back up?

Mayfield might not have a choice

• Options

@steel75 said:
    In the current "woke" NFL, he will get suspended for a while. Got to appear that you "care".

Not really - Maybe the Browns gave Goodell 50% of Watson Jersey sales.

• Options

Jacoby Brissett just signed as Watsons backup

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Has there been much made of Cleveland's misuse of Mayfield last season? Playing him hurt like that definitely hurt his trade value. It seems like it would have been done to severely hurt his leverage.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Has there been much made of Cleveland's misuse of Mayfield last season? Playing him hurt like that definitely hurt his trade value. It seems like it would have been done to severely hurt his leverage.

It was Mayfield telling he wanted to play hence the shoulder brace - Of course the Browns Could have shut him down to get surgery so he can be their QB in 2022 - seems like they didn't want him to do that EH?

• Options

I think Baker could be had for a 4th round pick. Just depends on who wants to go there

m

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

Cleveland intentionally structured his contract to minimize financial loss for Watson if he's suspended. He's got a $1m base salary for 2022. Only base salary is forfeited if a player is suspended.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like there's been an update to the Watson trade.

Browns receive:
    QB Deshaun Watson
    Selection choice — Round 6, 2024

Texans receive:
    Selection choice — Round 1, 2022 (No. 13)
    Selection choice — Round 4, 2022 (No. 107)
    Selection choice — Round 1, 2023
    Selection choice — Round 3, 2023
    Selection choice — Round 1, 2024
    Selection choice — Round 4, 2024

• Options

3 firsts, 1 third, and 2 fourths. Not a bad haul.

• Options

@Tabe said:

Cleveland intentionally structured his contract to minimize financial loss for Watson if he's suspended. He's got a $1m base salary for 2022. Only base salary is forfeited if a player is suspended.

Cleveland rumor mill today: Watson may be looking at a 6 to 8 game suspension.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2022 6:33PM

@Steven59 said:

@Tabe said:

Cleveland rumor mill today: Watson may be looking at a 6 to 8 game suspension.

That is what I heard, typically 6 games for something like this but after reading the SI article by Jenny Vrentas, well, 8 is not enough. Ick.

• Options

Just a bump in the road for a franchise QB. What is he 27, 28?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

^^^^^^^

He's 26 as I type and will turn 27 in Sept

m

• Options

Big Bump.......You just knew Cleveland was going to end up with problems (like usual).
    From Today's Cleveland news headlines.......stay tuned

"Report: 2nd grand jury considers indictment against Cleveland Browns QB Deshaun Watson"

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - A second grand jury in Texas is considering an indictment on accusations of sexual misconduct involving Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson, according to the New York Times.

Twenty-two different women have filed civil complaints against Watson claiming sexual assault and harassment.
    A grand jury in Harris County, Texas declined to indict Watson on criminal charges in nine cases earlier this month.

A 10th criminal complaint filed with Houston police for an incident that is alleged in an outside jurisdiction is the most recent case to be reviewed by this second grand jury in Brazoria County, according to the reports.

The complaint comes from one of the 22 female victims involved in the civil lawsuits.
    A decision from the grand jury on whether to pursue criminal charges is expected either Thursday or Friday, according to the reports.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Big Bump.......You just knew Cleveland was going to end up with problems (like usual).
    From Today's Cleveland news headlines.......stay tuned

"Report: 2nd grand jury considers indictment against Cleveland Browns QB Deshaun Watson"

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - A second grand jury in Texas is considering an indictment on accusations of sexual misconduct involving Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson, according to the New York Times.

Twenty-two different women have filed civil complaints against Watson claiming sexual assault and harassment.
    A grand jury in Harris County, Texas declined to indict Watson on criminal charges in nine cases earlier this month.

A 10th criminal complaint filed with Houston police for an incident that is alleged in an outside jurisdiction is the most recent case to be reviewed by this second grand jury in Brazoria County, according to the reports.

The complaint comes from one of the 22 female victims involved in the civil lawsuits.
    A decision from the grand jury on whether to pursue criminal charges is expected either Thursday or Friday, according to the reports.

This would be epically hilarious if Watson went to jail and the Browns were forced to start Mayfield 😂😂😂

• Options

Just in: The second grand jury has decided NOT to take up any charges against Watson.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Just in: The second grand jury has decided NOT to take up any charges against Watson.

Things seem to be falling into place for him. The cynic in me can't help but wonder if outside influences "aided" the Grand Jury in arriving at their decision.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Steven59 said:

Things seem to be falling into place for him. The cynic in me can't help but wonder if outside influences "aided" the Grand Jury in arriving at their decision.

Like I said just a bump in the road for a billion dollar business. Forest for the trees, Forest for the trees

W.C.Fields
  • Options

A criminal case would have to be strong in that more than one witness for each crime. That is hard to do in these situations. If there were corroborating witness, then.............