Home Sports Talk
Options

Transgender wins NCAA women's title

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 18, 2022 2:21PM in Sports Talk

Has the NCAA lost it's mind? You just can't allow this to happen.

Transgender swimmer Lia Thomas wins women’s 500-yard NCAA title

Transgender swimmer Lia Thomas says ‘I belong on the women’s team’
Lia Thomas, the transgender swimmer at the University of Pennsylvania, won the NCAA championships in the 500-yard race on Thursday.

Thomas defeated Virginia freshman Emma Weyant by 1.75 seconds with a time of 4:33.24.

Thomas swam for three years at Penn as a male before transitioning, sat out a year while undergoing testosterone suppression treatment and returned to compete as a woman.

She will also compete in the 200-yard and 100-yard NCAA championships later this week.

Since Thanksgiving, Thomas has been swimming at a rate that suggested she would likely win national titles. She won the Ivy League title in the 500-yard, setting a record at Harvard’s Blodgett Pool in the process in February.

Lia Thomas secured the NCAA title in the 500-yard freestyle with a 4:33.21 finish.
Getty Images

Thomas has come under considerable controversy, as a number of observers have questioned the fairness of an athlete who was born as a biological male competing against women. The NCAA made new regulations about transgender athletes during this season, and essentially left eligibility up to individual sports.

Lia Thomas won the NCAA championship in women’s swimming in the 500-yard.
Screengrab / ESPN3
After her victory, Thomas told ESPN she tries to tune out the noise.

“I try to ignore it as much as I can I try to focus on my swimming — what I need to do to get ready for my races. I just try to block out everything else,” Thomas said.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 18, 2022 10:21AM

I have nothing against transgender people, I respect every human being as long as they have a good heart and are good people, but it just isn't fair to women to have to compete against a man's body.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just now logged onto the forum to reluctantly start a thread on this topic. You beat me to it. I just had the thought that no one here has commented on it. Only thing I have to say is that the World's gone crazy. Other than that the whole thing is beyond my comprehension.

• Options

I feel sorry for the women that have trained so hard to accomplish their dreams, just to have their dreams smashed by having to compete against a man's body, the NCAA should be ashamed of themselves.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

I blame the opponents for enabling. They should have all boycotted the events that Thomas is competing in.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

My one-word response to Lia Thomas winning the title is: "congratulations".

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:
    My one-word response to Lia Thomas winning the title is: "congratulations".

How do you feel about the real girls who aren’t physically capable of competing against a male body ?

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

second place finisher (the real winner) was a silver medalist in the 2020 Olympics.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NCAA should contact Walmart.
    Common sense is on sale in aisle 8.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard the Woman of the Year is also an original male turned female.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I have nothing against transgender people, I respect every human being as long as they have a good heart and are good people, but it just isn't fair to women to have to compete against a man's body.

DD, it is hard to believe this statement from you above, given your earlier statements in the OP................ This is probably a topic that should not be discussed here at all, it brings out reportable posts, as at least one above.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
This discussion has been closed.