Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Toughest 1985 Topps Baseball Cards....

Many thousands of these cards have been graded already, mostly due to the big four rookies (Mcgwire, Puckett, Clemens and Gooden) but many others are really tough....

Centering was absolutely terrible that year and likely the worst in years (77 and 84's were bad too). Lots of wrinkles on the green colored rear of these cards as well as multiple varieties of severe printing defects (especially fish eyes) abound.

I'll start with the beginning..... #1 Fisk RB, #3 Gooden RB, #5 Joe Morgan RB are consistently off-centered and some of the toughest to find in high grade condition IMO.

What's your 1985 Topps baseball toughest toughie?

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Seaver has been tough for me.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

My friend has 1000+ Gooden RBs. Has bought 100+ graded examples. Not sure how many 9s and 10s he has acquired.

But I can tell you that this is a beast of a card to pull in high grade as we have collectively opened a case or so of 85T and never pulled anything 9 worthy.

And it’s also an amazing card. Top 3 Gooden card ever IMO.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    SeaverfanSeaverfan Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

That Gooden RB is impossible!

Yep, that 85 Seaver # 670 is a true bear in high grade. Crazy variety of card sizes due to its position on the uncut sheet. And try to find one with all 4 corners that are clean and razor sharp.....Good luck.

Both are some of the tough "toughies" from 85 and IMO, 10/GM condition specimens are true rarities!

• Options
    GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

This thread prompted me to look at my 1985 set, which I bought back around 1986-1990, and sure enough, those cards are all off-center. But then I looked at the collection of Seaver cards that I put together at shows around then, and found this just about perfectly centered card, only to notice barely perceptible damage to the upper-left corner and a pinkish misprint over his left shoulder, and then scanning revealed some other rather minor printing flaws. Plus there's a tiny spot on the back. So I guess it would be a PSA 8 at best. But at least it shows there ARE some nice ones out there.

• Options
    agragr Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

• Options

I look through a ton of 85 Topps cards and I see Nolan Ryan cards that look perfect and many that are completely off. I'd say it's about 50/50 on those. I don't know worst, but I'd say the Rickey Henderson is usually good. About 75% of the 85 Henderson cards I see are nicely centered.

Love to talk baseball cards! Super fan of vintage 70's and early 80s cards.

• Options
    agragr Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

The top two are Minis, regular and blank back