Home Autographs Forum
Options

yrtropicalmirage

Some seller with this name has just posted a large number of cut signatures on EBAY. I mean we're talking, Harlow, John Wayne, Bogart, Francis Farmer, etc. You name it, he's selling it. I'd really love to have somebody take a look and see what they think.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

On my phone I can't search by seller. If you can post a link to one auction i could look from there.

• Options

I don't know what to say. First off, I am not even sure what format these are in. Are they matted (if so, they are poorly done), or are they and the photos glued down to a mat?

Many are clearly real (checks, etc.) but I suspect at least a few are fake. Some others seem damaged (faded), such as the Gregory Peck check, or else it's a photocopy.

It may well be that the sellers did collect these over the years. But that does not make them real. He may well have unknowingly bought some fakes.

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s a mixed bag. I think the Marilyn Monroe is fake as well as a couple others but many look authentic to me. I believe the seller got a collection or they collected themselves and are selling them off. I think these came from all different sources originally so I think many will be real and some fake. The collector displayed them so I think that’s why many are faded. The matte job was probably done by the original collector which is why it is subpar and not professional at all.

If there are any in mind you are particular curious about please ask and I can take a better look and give my opinion.

• Options

Thank you for your comment. It just seems so hard to believe that he would be listing pretty much every hard-to-find autograph all at one time and then start the bidding so low on pretty much every one of them. And so far he has attracted very few bids, which also makes me wonder. But I am a long way from an expert and I appreciate your insight. BTW, what about the "Marilyn"? That one definitely looks bad to me.

• Options

I agree on the Marilyn. I am not an expert on her signature but based on ones I've seen it is not really her style.

• Options

The Marilyn autograph that we both believe to be a fake sold for over $1300 on EBAY>

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kenboyer said:
    The Marilyn autograph that we both believe to be a fake sold for over $1300 on EBAY>

Ouch!

• Options

Insane!

• Options

I looked at all that sold and I think many of them are almost certainly fake. And they went for BIG prices in some cases. But again, I am not an expert (but I am a long time collector).