Home Sports Talk

Red Sox pick up Trevor Story

tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 23, 2022 7:38AM in Sports Talk

Great to see the action starting.
Sox scored 21 runs in first 2 games even though it is spring training.
Go Sox!

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Irrational exuberance

Weren't they "determined" to do well last year as well and the years before?

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭

Great to have baseball to watch again. The Sox have won the first two grapefruit games and scored 21 runs in the process. I know its only pre-season but it was great.

I happened to catch about 10 minutes of yesterday's game, as I buzzed through the MLB channel...saw the part where the Doofus got caught and tagged out trying to steal second.

Boy, if those are the announcers for the upcoming season, somebody's gonna have a very, very long and boring time. I suggest keeping the mute button nearby. How many times can a guy say "right there"? Pathetic. One guy tries so hard to sound like an MLB announcer with eons of experience and refers to his "playing days", which weren't that many.

I will say that Pivetta, who I saw for about an inning, looked pretty good. Not sure wearing Jimmy Piersall's old # 37 will be a curse or a blessing, regarding the once very unstable Piersall, who I once saw pitching pebbles against the Green Monster.

edited March 20, 2022 8:28AM

Story gets $140 million for 6 years with an opt out clause after 4 years which can be eliminated if Sox give a 7th year.

GO Red Sox!

Maybe this will get some excitement going!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think it is a very good signing.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Bogaerts will leave at season end as he activates his get out of jail free card and empty the Brinks truck.
    Story will play 2nd base and move over to short in 2023.
    Bloomy will be looking for a new 2nd baseman for 2023.

Could Bogaerts become yet another pin striper?

Don't be surprised if the Sox re-do Bogarts contract to keep him happy.
    They like him a lot and don't want to lose him.
    Bloom is not stupid and I like the way he operates.

You missed the point once again...Bogearts has the option, not the Red Sox.
    This isn't a love fest, this is all about money, nothing more, nothing less, and he intends to get his share. We'll see.

He took a favorable deal before so I'm thinking he will again when approached .
    Not everyone is as greedy as he wants to play for a winner and he likes playing with people he likes.
    We shall see, but we can hope for the best .

edited March 21, 2022 6:46AM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Not everyone is as greedy as he wants to play for a winner and he likes playing with people he likes.

You must be living in Fantasyland!! I know Albuquerque is over 5,000 feet above sea level, and the air is a little thinner, but get real!!

Carlos Correa (former SS for the Astros), just signed with the Twins for 3 years at $105.3M. Bogearts makes $20M per season with the Red Sox. Let's see now...Correa gets $35M per year now, Bogearts gets $20M per season. That's a difference of FIFTEEN MILLION DOLLARS IN 6 MONTHS per season. Surely with Bogaert's talent, he would command as much, I'd say they're pretty equal in the SS department.

It isn't greed, it's all about the money, no more, no less. He has no specific loyalty to the Red Sox team, Boston, or anywhere else. Everybody wants to play for a winner, nobody wants to play for a loser...duh!! I don't necessarily put the Red Sox team in the "winner" category. Lots of talent, but not year in year out "winners".

He likes playing with people he likes?? Are you serious? Has he told you that?
    A $15M increase in salary could easily make him like playing anywhere, with anyone. Your unbelievable obsession with the Red Sox, of whom you find zero fault ever, is stunning!!

edited March 21, 2022 1:48PM

I think he will sign a team friendly deal but if I am wrong then Story can go back to SS .
    That is the major reason they went after his so hard in the first place.
    I guess everyone here is just in the wait and see attitude so I will say no more.

The Sox avoided arbitration with 5 players.
    Devers
    Verdogo
    Privetta
    Arroyo
    Taylor.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

So here is my question. Is the projected Red Sox infield the worst defensive infield in major league history?

You have Bogaerts who is a very bad shortstop. Not Jeter-bad, nobody is close to that bad, but like Julio Lugo bad. He's not in the bottom 10%, probably, but he's not far off.

Devers is even worse as a third baseman. It's hard to identify a recent third baseman who definitely was worse. Ty Wigginton probably was.

Over the past five years (2016-2019 and 2021) only a handful of regular first basemen had seasons that were worse defensively than Bobby Dalbec's 2021. Worse, Dalbec didn't hit anywhere near enough to play first base. Pete O'Brien, an all-time great defensive first baseman who had the misfortune of being a contemporary of the best ever started to lose his job when his offense declined to Dalbec's level and he was finished at 35.

Incidentally, Jackie Bradley's offense last year wouldn't have been noteworthy for a pitcher not named Ohtani. On average there are about six per season lately with a higher OPS+.

Anyway, to this infield you add Trevor Story wo has been a very, very good shortstop defensively Not Andrelton Simmons, Jack Wilson, or Adam Everett, but at least in the discussion with anyone else this century. He's also a good hitter for a shortstop. Not Bogaerts good, but well above average. In their infinite wisdom, they are apparently asking him to play second base where he has never played in the majors, and where he would only be an average hitter. Not only that, but 2021 was a sharp drop off from his career norms both offensively and defensively. We can hope, but shouldn't expect, to see Story recover his previous level of play as he passes his prime years, but at a key defensive position it's very worrisome.

Now Bogaerts is a great hitter for a shortstop and a pretty good one overall. But, here's the thing, Bogaerts is only about as good a hitter as Billy Butler. Devers is better, but the question is does he hit like Matt Chapman and Jack Cust, like his career average, or like 2019 Kris Bryant or Jose Altuve (or 2016 Mookie Betts) like he has the past two full seasons. The latter, and at his age it's likely, Devers is a very good hitter.

So the Red Sox will have a very, very good hitter at third, a good hitter at short, an above average hitter at second, and a guy who is, frankly, terrible at first. The problem is that three of them have proven they can't field their position and the fourth has never played his. It's past time to see if Bogaerts can play second or third, and if Devers can play first. They are both so bad that there is no guarantee. Even if Story is in a rapid decline, he'd be a huge improvement at short. Instead Cora will have his whole infield playing out of position and for what? Hoping that Bogaerts won't opt out if he can stay at the premier defensive position? Better to actually play for a win.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2022 5:44AM

You make it sound like they’re the Bad News Bears bad. They’ll be fine.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

better hope Story doesn't have a Troy Tulowiski career post Colorado.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

This is Albuquerque this morning but by game time it will be all gone. It is fun to see snow once in a while. Now on to Florida to try for the
    Red Sox 7th win in a row in a few hours.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

goodness, i didnt realize how bad things were. now im going to start worrying...

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Have no fear my friend, they have a good team this year.

2 hours later sky clear, sun bright, snow melting like crazy and dish almost completely cleared and ready for baseball.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

Yeah, sometimes "bad defense" gets exaggerated. Even bad MLB defenders are going to make the play 95% or more of the time.

Snows all gone here now. Its going to be 80 by Sunday. It was pretty while it lasted.
    Eovoldy pitched well with 4 innings of no hit baseball and then a string of minor league pitchers bought their tickets back to the minors.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

Yeah, sometimes "bad defense" gets exaggerated. Even bad MLB defenders are going to make the play 95% or more of the time.

According to Monday's Boston Globe, major league batters hit .241 on ground balls. Against the Red Sox they hit .273. The average team allowed 424 hits on ground balls, the Red Sox 486. Note that no one is even mentioning errors. I think that's a serious problem, not an exaggeration.

edited March 23, 2022 10:01PM

@daltex said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

According to Monday's Boston Globe, major league batters hit .241 on ground balls. Against the Red Sox they hit .273. The average team allowed 424 hits on ground balls, the Red Sox 486. Note that no one is even mentioning errors. I think that's a serious problem, not an exaggeration.

62 hits extra hits over 162 games = .382 extra hits per game. That's nothing.

Put another way, the Red Sox threw 1419 innings in 2021. Those 62 hits represent an extra hit or out every 23 innings.

That's nothing or very close to it. At the very least, the "worst infield defense in history", even if true, is not much to worry about.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@daltex said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

62 hits extra hits over 162 games = .382 extra hits per game. That's nothing.

Put another way, the Red Sox threw 1419 innings in 2021. Those 62 hits represent an extra hit or out every 23 innings.

That's nothing or very close to it. At the very least, the "worst infield defense in history", even if true, is not much to worry about.

but what about possible missed double plays on those grounders by a subpar infield? giving the opposition and extra out.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

Past years performances have nothing to do with what is going to happen in the future as players performance improves with time and experience.

edited March 24, 2022 1:51PM

@Alfonz24 said:

but what about possible missed double plays on those grounders by a subpar infield? giving the opposition and extra out.

The Red Sox turned 143 double plays in 2021, 5th most in the majors. Don't think that's an issue.

But let's assume it is - how often do you think they're missing a double play? Nobody averages even 1 double play per game. It's obviously impossible to quantify but I highly doubt that an infield that turned 143 double plays already is going to miss a double play opportunity more than once every 10 games or so. How important is an extra out every 10 games? Not important at all.