Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What research areas need attention?

I’ve always liked the idea of researching an area of numismatics that is lacking. Like Sedwick in the 1980’s writing about the Spanish COB a few years before the Atocha was discovered…when it became WILDLY popular.

I collect U.S. coinage and Spanish colonial coins, they’ve been researched quite a bit…maybe too much even (ahem, Morgans) What are your favorite series, pre-1900’s that haven’t been fully researched? Any country, any metal. What research has been done or is ongoing? Just curious.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2022 6:21PM

Not my series, but early Independent Bolivia Sol coinage (1827-63) seems wide open for further research, and a great collecting opportunity as well.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Not my series, but early Independent Bolivia Sol coinage (1827-63) seems wide open for further research, and a great collecting opportunity as well.

Thank you! That’s right along the lines I was thinking.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I'd say the Philippines, but you have to fudge your inclusive dates to pre-WWi, since those coins after 1900 are just beautiful. It would fit into your Spanish colonial as, well, since they used to be part of it.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2022 6:15PM

Mexico Cap & Rays 1/2 real to 4 reales. Would love to see a fully detailed book one day on this subject matter. I hope someone like say Brad Yonaka pulls it off if he ever decides to try.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

Also a book on the early Mexican silver Pesos series (scale and balance type).

• Options
    edited March 16, 2022 6:21PM

While I am at it a detailed book on the Mexican gold escudos from 1732-1822.

There are many others I would like to see but these 3 would be my top picks.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to start researching the bolivians. They're so awkwardly unique. Thanks for the heads up on this Andy!

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Philippines has many books and research done on it.
    At least a dozen books. (all of witch I have), many Articles online, presentations .
    Many major auctions sold over years and recently
    Collectors club meeting at the ANA "Philippine collectors Forum". sharing tons of information and research. etc.
    Not too much left undiscovered.

Straights settlement coins may be under appreciated though there are collectors of this also.
    British Honduras Low mintage denomination dates. not many collectors or dealers.

45 year collector of Philippines.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krueger said:
    Philippines has many books and research done on it.
    At least a dozen books. (all of witch I have), many Articles online, presentations .
    Many major auctions sold over years and recently
    Collectors club meeting at the ANA "Philippine collectors Forum". sharing tons of information and research. etc.
    Not too much left undiscovered.

Straights settlement coins may be under appreciated though there are collectors of this also.
    British Honduras Low mintage denomination dates. not many collectors or dealers.

45 year collector of Philippines.

Show us some coins you own

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.