Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone get modern Economy grades back yet?

I’ve read a few posts here and elsewhere speculating that the current PSA grading standards have gotten tougher since they opened up subs. I’ve submitted a few under the $100 tier and I haven’t seen a difference but the sample size is small.

I got a few Economy orders in, has anyone who subbed modern (shiny era) received their grades yet? Based on the lottery results I would think we should start seeing enough volume to see if the standards have changed for modern.

Mike

Comments

• Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2022 7:54AM

@ndleo said:
    I’ve read a few posts here and elsewhere speculating that the current PSA grading standards have gotten tougher since they opened up subs. I’ve submitted a few under the $100 tier and I haven’t seen a difference but the sample size is small.

I got a few Economy orders in, has anyone who subbed modern (shiny era) received their grades yet? Based on the lottery results I would think we should start seeing enough volume to see if the standards have changed for modern.

In my first 5 card Economy sub 4 out of 5 were 10's (I thought 2 were solid 10's), the other was a 9 that I expected.

They were 2001, 2003, 2009, 2013 and 2014

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s great to see. I have 15 modern in Economy. I’m hoping to get more 10s than 9s since these are the 15 best cards from my PSA sub stack. At $50 a shot, I am being VERY selective what I send it for modern. An 8 or less on most modern is a death grade.

Mike
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

What I’m hearing around the block is grading is very tough particularly on 10s.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

@Ahmanfan said:
    What I’m hearing around the block is grading is very tough particularly on 10s.

I think we should be seeing quantity modern sub results soon as the first group of Economy gets done. I’ll post my grades once I get them.

On a side note 2 of my orders were submitted a little more than a week apart and the second sub is closer to being done than the first.

Mike
  • I got my dual grading economy submission back this week. The grades were actually a bit better than expected since I wasn't expecting any 10s outside of the auto grades.

For Card Grade/Auto Grade, I got:
    10 / 10
    9 / 10
    9 / 10
    9 / 9
    8 / 9

Cards are from 2008 to 2018.

Got my first 5. 5-4-5 on 10s. These were the best cards from the pile. I have 10 more to go.

1 GEM MINT 10 2014 Topps Chrome Mini 114 Davante Adams Facing Forward-Autograph
    2 GEM MINT 10 2014 Panini Select 106 Aaron Donald Prizm
    3 GEM MINT 10 2016 Panini Donruss Optic 165 Derrick Henry Aqua
    4 GEM MINT 10 2017 Panini Donruss Optic 195 Deshaun Watson Holo
    5 GEM MINT 10 2018 Panini Donruss Optic 167 Lamar Jackson Holo

Mike
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had an order with only 3 items logged on 2/22/22 and shipped back out complete on 3/16/22. Meanwhile, I have a few orders still sitting there waiting for 13 to 16 months and counting. They are not clearing out all the old pending orders before addressing the new ones, that's for sure.

• It really blows that people are getting recent submissions back and I still have 2 at PSA for over a year

@Keyreader said:
    It really blows that people are getting recent submissions back and I still have 2 at PSA for over a year

I'd have preferred they finished my older orders first before getting to my very recent order too.

• OneDaysRideOneDaysRide Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Day 01 2.10 Selected for 5-Card Econ$50 submission on 5th attempt
    Day 03 2.12 USPS Priority Mailed To PSA
    Day 06 2.15 Received By PSA
    Day 13 2.22 Order Prep Research/ID
    Day 23 3.04 Grading
    Day 33 3.14 Assembly
    Day 34 3.15 QA Check 1
    Day 35 3.16 QA Check 2
    Day 36 3.17 Shipping

Grades Modern 1997 Cards: two 10's, three 9's

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my takem for what it's worth.
    The last two years have brought in thousands of new "collectors". Some may have collected as kids, others just getting in because of all the money to be made. Most of these people had no idea about third party grading and were just going by what they were seeing on social media. Easily influenced and eager to hop on the train while it was going full steam ahead. Guys who really knew nothing became "experts" virtually overnight and others that knew even less followed right along with them.
    So we see every single card being submitted so we are going to see lower grades here and there across the board.
    Now yes, there are going to be some inconsistencies from time to time, we've had that for years but where I'm seeing the biggest complaints are the newer folks that haven't submitted before. Claiming pop control, unfair grading, etc. I just don't believe this to be the case.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Here's my takem for what it's worth.
    The last two years have brought in thousands of new "collectors". Some may have collected as kids, others just getting in because of all the money to be made. Most of these people had no idea about third party grading and were just going by what they were seeing on social media. Easily influenced and eager to hop on the train while it was going full steam ahead. Guys who really knew nothing became "experts" virtually overnight and others that knew even less followed right along with them.
    So we see every single card being submitted so we are going to see lower grades here and there across the board.
    Now yes, there are going to be some inconsistencies from time to time, we've had that for years but where I'm seeing the biggest complaints are the newer folks that haven't submitted before. Claiming pop control, unfair grading, etc. I just don't believe this to be the case.

Yep, my grades are remarkably consistent pre craze vs post craze. However, the grader of death still works there...

• jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

My only 3 modern cards I submitted one lower was expected

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax

@miwlvrn said:

@Keyreader said:
    It really blows that people are getting recent submissions back and I still have 2 at PSA for over a year

I'd have preferred they finished my older orders first before getting to my very recent order too.

One of my orders from 16 months ago just made it to Q2; nice to see movement. However, one of my other pending orders was received 1/18/21 and logged 3/26/21, and still hasn't even made it out of the Research stage, prior to Grading. At this rate, I'm pretty confident it will be over 2 years for turn around time. What's the longest record for wait time?

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@miwlvrn said:

@Keyreader said:

One of my orders from 16 months ago just made it to Q2; nice to see movement. However, one of my other pending orders was received 1/18/21 and logged 3/26/21, and still hasn't even made it out of the Research stage, prior to Grading. At this rate, I'm pretty confident it will be over 2 years for turn around time. What's the longest record for wait time?

OMG. I think you deserve "Congratulations". Just crazy. Yes, you may be heading towards the record.

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@miwlvrn said:

@Keyreader said:

One of my April logged orders just went into grading last week. Seems like yours from March should be close… or there aleady.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Order arrived 3/17/22. Not flagged as entered yet.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

@ldferg said:

Order flagged as received 3/22/22.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Another batch came in. Got what I expected. The Deebo was a show buy, so that is especially sweet, I got an allocation recently, so I will be subbing again. It's getting tougher since I sent in a lot of the best cards already.

1 MINT 9 2018 Panini Donruss Optic 154 Josh Allen Card
    2 GEM MINT 10 2018 Panini Donruss Optic 167 Lamar Jackson Red/Yellow Card
    3 MINT 9 2018 Panini Prizm 212 Lamar Jackson Card
    4 GEM MINT 10 2018 Panini Prizm 212 Lamar Jackson Card
    5 GEM MINT 10 2019 Panini Prizm 346 Deebo Samuel Autograph Card

Mike

@ldferg said:

@ldferg said:

Order flagged as received 3/22/22.

Order moved to grading: 03/29/22

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

They are 15 months on my sub and it’s finally in assembly - I know how nice they were when I sent them, I am curious about their storage for ahead before I saw any movement….curious what I get back…

• Mine are still in level 4 , 14 months and 8 days and counting

Recent update. Just got these back from the $50 Economy service when they still had the lottery. The best of the modern football stack I had. The Watson cards were borderline IMHO, I was hoping one would hit a 10, but I went 0-3. I really thought the Aaron Donald was 10, it looked like one of the best cards in the stack. The Davante Adams were $5 box pulls from a local show. All of the Optic cards were from packs.

MINT 9 2014 Bowman Chrome 199 Aaron Donald Card
    GEM MINT 10 2014 Bowman Chrome 197 Davante Adams With Ball-Bubbles Refractor Card
    GEM MINT 10 2014 Topps Chrome 114 Davante Adams Facing Forward-Blue Wave Refractor Card
    GEM MINT 10 2016 Panini Donruss Optic 165 Derrick Henry Red & Yellow Card
    MINT 9 2017 Panini Donruss Optic 195 Deshaun Watson Red/Yellow Card
    MINT 9 2017 Panini Donruss Optic 195 Deshaun Watson Pink Card
    GEM MINT 10 2018 Panini Donruss Optic 49 Patrick Mahomes II Holo Card

Mike
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    Recent update. Just got these back from the $50 Economy service when they still had the lottery. The best of the modern football stack I had. The Watson cards were borderline IMHO, I was hoping one would hit a 10, but I went 0-3. I really thought the Aaron Donald was 10, it looked like one of the best cards in the stack. The Davante Adams were $5 box pulls from a local show. All of the Optic cards were from packs.

MINT 9 2014 Bowman Chrome 199 Aaron Donald Card
    GEM MINT 10 2014 Bowman Chrome 197 Davante Adams With Ball-Bubbles Refractor Card
    GEM MINT 10 2014 Topps Chrome 114 Davante Adams Facing Forward-Blue Wave Refractor Card
    GEM MINT 10 2016 Panini Donruss Optic 165 Derrick Henry Red & Yellow Card
    MINT 9 2017 Panini Donruss Optic 195 Deshaun Watson Pink Card
    GEM MINT 10 2018 Panini Donruss Optic 49 Patrick Mahomes II Holo Card

Love that Mahomes!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

I should have been more clear, the grades just posted. Cards still in the hands of the USPS. Pics coming

Mike