Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Damaged card

So Psa damaged my card during sealing. They called and said they would compensate me for the whole order. This morning I wake up to a charge from Psa, it’s the weekend so I can’t call and ask what’s going on. Has anyone been through this? Is this normal to be charged then refunded? How does the credit work?

Comments

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

I received a credit on my next order when they damaged some of mine. I sent the cards back, they were regraded and I was paid out the difference of the original grade minus the new grade as per their research in recent sold prices.

• Options
    SeaverfanSeaverfan Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

That's a tough story. Sorry to hear. Any really good cards damaged? I had a similar experience with BGS with a 67 Seaver.

I always wondered if cards could be damaged (micro or macro damaged) by just removing and reinserting into a Card Saver and/or penny sleave. Considering the card is removed and reinserted twice during the typical professional grading process, then again removed a third time to be sealed for encapsulation it's seems possible. Also, does anyone know if during the grading process the cards are also replaced back into a penny sleave during grading (if the card was in a penny sleave to start)?

I know if a card does not meet minimum grading its comes back in a penny sleave (if it was in a penny sleave when I sent it off for grading).

Unfortunately I've damaged cards during placement into my own penny sleaves and Card Savers. Early on to minimize this damage, I learned to prestretch the opening of the Card Saver with my fingers as well as cut along the seam of the penny sleave opening on one side before placing the cards in them. Now, when I open packs and want the card graded, I immediately place it into a Card saver to limit the times the card its handled/touched and totally forego the penny sleave.

Has anyone studied potential microdamage of placing cards in penny sleaves/Card Savers with "before and after" high grade photos to check? Would be cool to do.

• Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Just make sure your declared value is high!
    PSA claimed they lost my entire order a couple years ago. It's extremely sad for me as I had some very rare 77 Mexicans in there among some very high Dorsett's I was putting together over 3 years for submission. They ended up just paying me the declared value and claimed they would make it up to me on another submission. Not so much.
    Morale of the story declare high!!!! I haven't even seen half of those cards being available anywhere.

Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options

Well they still have the cards, they found out that my Psa 10 had been damaged. I’m supposed to get 450 but I’m still wondering with them charging me what is there plan for the compensation. They said they’d put the credit towards the order but I still got charged.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe they compensate you in the form of credit or cut a physical check.

I was in a group sub where my card was damaged by UPS in transit back. card was returned, regraded and the group subber was compensated the difference in value which I chose to reapply as credit for next sub but could've opted as cash. I presume they would've given him credit as an official subber or a check.

as for your order, I presume it will be charged as normal given it already was, then it will be regraded and the difference in value optioned as either a check or grading credit (voucher).

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    Cody003Cody003 Posts: 4
    edited March 13, 2022 9:27AM

I guess I’m just confused cause I was told that morning I’d be compensated and credit would go to that order but then that night I was charged

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cody003 said:
    I guess I’m just confused cause I was told that morning I’d be compensated and credit would go to that order but then that night I was charged

Were you charged the full amount on your order form?

• Options

@daltex said:

@Cody003 said:

Were you charged the full amount on your order form?

I was charged 300. So I guess they decided to just take off the shipping. But they forgot about the whole 350 dollars of declared value of the card. Psa 10 to a Psa 4, still not resolved. Psa doesn’t seem to want to contact me about it

• Options

The only time PSA damaged one of my cards was on a cross-over grading (they dinged a corner). After talking to me on the phone, they sent me the card back graded, didn't charge me for the grading and sent me a check for the declared value. I agree with others -- set a high (but reasonable) declared value when submitting your cards for grading.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RSehlke said:
    The only time PSA damaged one of my cards was on a cross-over grading (they dinged a corner). After talking to me on the phone, they sent me the card back graded, didn't charge me for the grading and sent me a check for the declared value. I agree with others -- set a high (but reasonable) declared value when submitting your cards for grading.

I am happy it worked out for you, but I think your issue (damaging a card already graded) is harder for PSA to dispute. For example, let's say you sent in a PSA 8 to hopefully bump up to a PSA 9. They damaged it in the process and now they graded it is a PSA 4. PSA doesn't have a leg to stand on and would have to fully reimburse you for the damages they caused because the card was already graded an 8. However, it is much easier for them to dispute any damages caused by them when a raw card submission is sent in. The owner has no proof it was not damaged other than his own visual opinions. It would be much harder for the owner to recoup any loses and PSA could easily defend against it. For me personally, both scenarios suck because there is no way the card will ever be the same prior to the damage done. I would rather have the card undamaged than any compensation.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blee1 said:
    PSA claimed they lost my entire order a couple years ago. It's extremely sad for me as I had some very rare 77 Mexicans in there among some very high Dorsett's I was putting together over 3 years for submission. They ended up just paying me the declared value and claimed they would make it up to me on another submission. Not so much.
    Morale of the story declare high!!!! I haven't even seen half of those cards being available anywhere.

The declared value is for shipping issues that result in an insurance claim. For items that PSA damages while sealing or otherwise handling a card after the grading stage, they will base your compensation award on what they themselves determine as fair market value of what the item would have had if in the grade it was to be assigned prior to the damage. This is definitely not the same thing as your declared value (even though it is theoretically possible that the two numbers may be close to equal, they may also be very far apart from each other).

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@blee1 said:

The declared value is for shipping issues that result in an insurance claim. For items that PSA damages while sealing or otherwise handling a card after the grading stage, they will base your compensation award on what they themselves determine as fair market value of what the item would have had if in the grade it was to be assigned prior to the damage. This is definitely not the same thing as your declared value (even though it is theoretically possible that the two numbers may be close to equal, they may also be very far apart from each other).

Their policy may have changed, they recently damaged a card of mine after grading during sealing and I was credited the declared value I put on the form, see their response:

"I am emailing you regarding one of your PSA Submissions, which we are working on getting back to you. Unfortunately, one of your items has incurred damage during our sealing process and we sincerely apologize for this situation.

Submission #********

Cert#: ********

Description: 2015 UPPER DECK STAR ROOKIES 1 CONNOR McDAVID

Original Unverified Grade: 10

Current PSA Grade: 6

Declared Value: $175

As per our policy, we would like to credit the declared value of the card towards this order for a total credit of $175."