Home Q & A Forum
Options

Reviewing coins for errors

Personally I love looking for errors in coins. I am very new to numismatics and I can see how easy it is to either have my eyes playing tricks on me - or mistake die doubling for mechanical doubling. So, I am curious, what is your process for reviewing coins for errors? Do you rely on Wexler's or Variety Vista resources? What if you think you have a discovery? Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    therealknarlestherealknarles Posts: 12
    edited March 10, 2022 9:44AM

Thanks Roy! Looking forward to being a part of this community!
    -Chuck

• Options

Is it possible for a coin to be missing first number of date and partial of the second number. I have a penny like this for 1936 has no mint mark. Could it have been altered, it has no damage I could see. I'm new and still have to figure out pics so I apologize not to post one.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pattyreed36 said:
    Is it possible for a coin to be missing first number of date and partial of the second number. I have a penny like this for 1936 has no mint mark. Could it have been altered, it has no damage I could see. I'm new and still have to figure out pics so I apologize not to post one.

It's best to open your own thread, but in any case it could be altered, damaged, or struck from a (grease) filled die.