Home Sports Talk
Options

Name only one event in sports history you could go back and see live.

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

take me back to see Ruths "called shot" game.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Robby Thompson shot heard around the world

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Golden Bear - 1986 Masters. He was 46 years old. I thought back then that was really old. Now I think how young that is.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭

not sports but I would of loved to see led zeppelin Live In 1973 Madison Square GArden !!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbW5K2F1N28

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever Jim Brown's best game was, I would love to see him in action live.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2022 11:39AM

The dedication of Memorial Stadium in Champaign in October of 1924. That Michigan-Illinois game featured one of if not the greatest first quarter performance in the history of College Football. Red Grange scored 4 touchdowns in the opening quarter- Illinois won the game 39-14. It was a performance that set the bar for what was to come. And the amazement of that legendary moment lives on. There are film clips and I suspect it could be found on U Tube

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Robby Thompson shot heard around the world

*Bobby

Have a nice day
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be at Fulton County Stadium on April 8, 1974 and witness the true home run king break the record.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:
    1980 Winter Olympics
    Miracle on Ice. USA vs Soviet Russia

This would be my pick as well.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@streeter said:
    1980 Winter Olympics
    Miracle on Ice. USA vs Soviet Russia

This would be my pick as well.

Mine as well

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

another for me would be walter johnson in his prime. i would want to have a radar gun with me to see just how fast he really could throw.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching Wilt Chamberlain score 100 points would also be something I would love to see.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read through all of the responses. All great. No wrong answers here.

I was racking my brain going through historical games or events that predated my life or happened very early in it. And there are many.

But I got to thinking about my favorite athletes of all time. Top four anyway. I saw two of them play live, just a couple times. Jim Rice and Larry Bird. But my other two I never saw. So I'm going to go with them. Marvelous Marvin Hagler. The War. And 28-3 for you know who.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at this as an event that might have been great, but then something unexpected happened to make it so memorable. That is why I chose Nicklaus 86 Masters. He was 4 shots back of the lead to begin the day and was even par through the first 8 holes. Then went on to shot 7 under the final 10 holes. Nothing like hearing the roar of the crowd coming from other holes on the golf course and the effect it has on other golfers who hear those roars.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Watching Bronco Nagurski run people over

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Does anyone know about (or the truth of) the gas cap story? Which is that he screwed them on so tight, as a service ce station owner post-retirement, that all customers had to return to him as only he had the strength to open them. 😂

• Options
    edited March 11, 2022 11:43AM

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

Does anyone know about (or the truth of) the gas cap story? Which is that he screwed them on so tight, as a service ce station owner post-retirement, that all customers had to return to him as only he had the strength to open them. 😂

I doubt it, I read his book and some of the stuff was far fetched like he hit a brick wall and a few of the bricks cracked, I’m sure the gas cap thing is more urban legend stuff although it wasn’t in his book

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy for me. Hammer'in Hank's 715th home run.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can call it a "Sporting" event. Wrestlemania III At the Pontiac Silverdome with over 93,000 fans.
    Main event was Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant:

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2022 1:38PM

!

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to go back and see the 1963 AFL Championship game.

The San Diego Chargers beat the Boston Patriots 51-10.

Keith Lincoln was the MVP, with 206 yards rushing on only 13 carries, and an additional 7 receptions for 123 yards. The Charger QBs (Tobin Rote and John Hadl), combined, were 17 of 26 for 305 yards and 3 TDs. Paul Lowe ran for 94 yards on 12 carries, but is largely forgotten because of Lincoln.

It's still the only Big-4 pro championship won by a San Diego team.

Steve

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blazers-Philadelphia Finals game 6 in PDX, June 4, l977.

Give me some Mo' Lucas and Big Red...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdWYdLXReRQ

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

First Clay(Ali)/Liston fight.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".