Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

How I can save this bank note

I get this framed bank note, but notice on back some glue on corners, any idea?

Comments

• Options
    winterwinter Posts: 73 ✭✭

Same with this

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would contact Nancy and ask for advise. polirestoration.com/

• Options

I agree with Steve, but will also note that the Legal tender $1 has already suffered irreversible light damage - the red seal and serials have nearly faded to invisibility. Very sad to see and instructive why you don't display notes in this manner (and don't mount them - though that mounting residue may be able to be removed).

Probably didn't use UV and Museum quality glass, but even that is no guarantee.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Yeah, that's a shame (the 1917 has such excessive light damage/faded seals, serials & signatures). Not sure it would be worth restoring whereas the black eagle may be a better bet.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

A real shame about the faded ink. Red seems to be the most susceptible to UV fading, with yellow a close second.

Acetone may dissolve the adhesive residue and won't damage the note. Be sure to use in a well-ventilated area and avoid breathing fumes or ignition sources as the vapors are toxic and highly flammable.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would probably be best off by just selling them as is and not worrying about them anymore. Restoration is expensive. The fading of the Red Seal is permanent. It isn't coming back.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe to much time in the light for the red seal fading?

• Options
    winterwinter Posts: 73 ✭✭

Yes, looks that red note loss much value, but does any body knows if the Black eagle note can be grade by PSCG, with the glue on back corners?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winter said:
    Yes, looks that red note loss much value, but does any body knows if the Black eagle note can be grade by PSCG, with the glue on back corners?

It probably isn't worth the cost of doing so. It is now a problem note.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure the glue staining is terminal. They should still be freed from the frames and glue. Good luck. Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall