Home U.S. Coin Forum

How does PCGS submissions get charged exactly?

I purchased a gold annual membership for around 150 dollars today. I plan on submitting one coin right now. The grading fee is 38, the gold shield fee is 5 dollars. The handling fee is 10 dollars. And the return shipping is 22 dollars. Does the 150 dollar membership fee cover some of these costs or will I have to pay 225 dollars just to submit one coin? I am confused! Please help

Comments

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2022 10:20AM

The grading fee of 38 usually includes the gold shield (if that is regular tier). Your gold membership gives you 4 grading vouchers, which covers 4 grading fees. If you were sending one coin, you would use 1 voucher to cover the 38; then you would pay the 22 return shipping and 10 handling fee.

• Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:
    The grading fee of 38 usually includes the gold shield (if that is regular tier). Your gold membership gives you 4 grading vouchers, which covers 4 grading fees. If you were sending one coin, you would use 1 voucher to cover the 38; then you would pay the 22 return shipping and 10 handling fee.

So I would leave a note on there that I authorize them to charge my credit card the 32?

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

You provide your cc data and signature where the form says "payment method". By signing the submission form you authorize the use of your cc.

No note is needed.
    Lance.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:

@U1chicago said:

So I would leave a note on there that I authorize them to charge my credit card the 32?

See Lance's reply above.

• stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2022 11:48AM

You have to put the voucher number somewhere on the submit form - I think under the "Other" line. I think there are online Voucher instructions that tell you what service level(s) they apply to. And in the Fee Calc section you specify the number of vouchers used (x $0) and omit that from the Service Level Fee number of coins.
    The voucher will only cover Gold Shield if the service includes it.
    You'll still have to pay $10 handling and return shipping (based on est value).

Hope this helps - theres so much information to try and get right, its not always easy ... until you do it once.

https://www.pcgs.com/submissionguide ...
    Submission form PDF instructions:

Fee Calc -

More info, submission levels -

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been a few years since I used a voucher, but at that time you had to use up the voucher in 1 submission.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    It has been a few years since I used a voucher, but at that time you had to use up the voucher in 1 submission.

No longer the case.

"Gold and Platinum members are allowed to submit all complimentary submissions at once or may submit the coins separately as long as all guidelines for the voucher are met and all complimentary submissions are post-marked prior to your Collectors Club voucher's expiration date printed on the voucher or indicated in your welcome email. Collectors Club Members are required to provide payment for shipping and handling for each complimentary submission."
    Source (FAQ = Can I submit Collectors Club voucher submissions at different times or must I submit all at once?)

edited March 6, 2022 11:58AM

And now ... having an oh-poop moment myself, as I realize I may not be able to use my 8 vouchers on a couple coins I plan to get this year (Gold Buffalo, as that may blast thru the $2500 ceiling - gah!!!!).
    I keep wishing they'd up their tiers to $500 Modern Value, $5k (or at LEAST $3500 for Modern and Regular). I've had to Express a few submissions just due to scarce minting of late.

Note: I think they only let you submit 1 "Service Level" per form / submission. So I think any vouchers need to be their own order (and $10 fee). I may be wrong, but think I did it this way anyway. #6 above makes me think this is so.

Also, I did my last voucher order online (all 8), but pretty sure I made sure and checked Gold Shield. I was charged $51 = $41 return shipping + $10 handling. I got TrueViews (well, for most, they dont do curved coins anymore - not in my Apollo 11 cases anyway).

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:
    I purchased a gold annual membership for around 150 dollars today. I plan on submitting one coin right now. The grading fee is 38, the gold shield fee is 5 dollars. The handling fee is 10 dollars. And the return shipping is 22 dollars. Does the 150 dollar membership fee cover some of these costs or will I have to pay 225 dollars just to submit one coin? I am confused! Please help

They make coin submissions about as difficult as purchasing a house. I gave up and just have my dealer send with his bulk submissions. Amazing how something that should be so simple can become so complex. Good luck!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

edited March 6, 2022 1:13PM

/\ Yup.
    And just to save yourself some sticker shock ... scour the USPS site and get caught up on Registered Mail fees.
    Its like a base postage fee (I use Priority Mail cardboard - its cheaper coast to coast) + a base Reg Mail fee (~$20+) + like ~$1.80 per $1k declared value - rounded UP. And I think they require paper tape on the seams, but they might seal it with that for you.
    But its under lock and key and signed off every time it moves. So I've been told. Quite secure.

Nobody local enuff to me - so I HAD to learn all this stuff myself.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a component of the overall transaction.....very quickly.

I wrote down my voucher number and customer number. I think they can figure it out….

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stawick said:
    And I think they require paper tape on the seams, but they might seal it with that for you.

They do require paper tape. The DMM says that they can't help you with that, but that doesn't mean they won't.

2.3.3 Sealing
    The mailer must securely seal envelopes. Paper or cellulose strips or wax or paper seals must not be placed over the intersections of flaps of letter-size envelopes where the postmark impressions are made. Packages must be sealed with mucilage or glue or with plain paper or cloth tape. Packages containing currency or securities may not be sealed exclusively by paper strips, but must first be sealed securely with mucilage or glue. Large envelopes (flats) that are completely sealed and that also have paper strips or paper tape across the intersections of the flaps may be considered packages for sealing requirements. To be used on Registered Mail, tape must visibly damage the envelope or wrapper if removed and must absorb the ink in a postmark impression. USPS employees are not permitted to help customers prepare or seal mail to be registered.

@MasonG said:

@stawick said:
    And I think they require paper tape on the seams, but they might seal it with that for you.

They do require paper tape. The DMM says that they can't help you with that, but that doesn't mean they won't.

2.3.3 Sealing
    The mailer must securely seal envelopes. Paper or cellulose strips or wax or paper seals must not be placed over the intersections of flaps of letter-size envelopes where the postmark impressions are made. Packages must be sealed with mucilage or glue or with plain paper or cloth tape. Packages containing currency or securities may not be sealed exclusively by paper strips, but must first be sealed securely with mucilage or glue. Large envelopes (flats) that are completely sealed and that also have paper strips or paper tape across the intersections of the flaps may be considered packages for sealing requirements. To be used on Registered Mail, tape must visibly damage the envelope or wrapper if removed and must absorb the ink in a postmark impression. USPS employees are not permitted to help customers prepare or seal mail to be registered.

I used a flat rate small box and tapped all the edges

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file