Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

Help a kid become a collector. We have a winner!

Thanks for the entries! Everyone answered correctly and everyone's name went into a hat from which my wife just drew a name at random. The winner is The Train! Congratulations for benefitting your niece! Please PM me with the address and whether you would like the coins in a tube with an empty folder or already inserted in a folder and it will be on its way!

With the kind assistance of pushkin, everyone is a winner. Every child whom an entrant wanted to assist will receive some coins as a consolation prize to help spark their numismatic interest! Cypher, a2labmom, dddangerousdan, wwbillman and PetesCorner, please PM me with your address and pushkin and I will make sure your child of choice receives some coins!

For non-entrants, the answers appear below the questions below ...

Well, I have been a winner on these forums and it is time for me to return the favor. This will not excite we collectors of slabs, but that is not its purpose. I will award a nice circulated, complete set of Jeffersons from 1938-61, and throw in a couple of later proofs, to one of those who correctly answer the following questions about this under-appreciated series.

It is my wish this set be given to a young boy or girl -- a son or daughter, a grandchild, a niece, a nephew, a neighbor's kid, etc. -- to stimulate their interest in pursuing our hobby, which is growing grey and in need of the next generation! The next step is up to you: Buy a folder for the later-date coins, go to the bank for some nickel rolls and let your young collector plug in his finds!

You may have to hit the web or refer to other references to answer these admittedly not-easy questions. Deadline for submitting answers via PM is 6 p.m. EDT Sunday. All correct entries will go into a hat and a winner chosen at random for our postpaid prize. The winner -- and answers -- will be announced by 9 p.m. EDT Sunday.

Winner's choice: I can ship a Harris folder containing the coins or ship an empty folder with the coins in a tube to allow the youngster the fun of inserting his or her new coins. The winner need not have it delivered to their house at their option, for I can send it directly to anyone you choose to receive it with any message you care to send.

Have fun and look out for our young collectors ... Here are our questions:

1.) Felix Schlag's design for both sides of the Jefferson nickel was altered from what he originally proposed. The reverse, in particular, emerged signicantly different in displaying a different angle view of Monticello. What school (or theme) of art prevalent in the 1920s and 1930s did Schlag embrace in his innovative -- at least compared to what we have today -- original designs?
A: Schlag's design embraced the Art Deco school of art prevalent in the 20s and 30s, but was markedly toned down by the mint.

2.) Mintmarks were enlarged -- with P used for the first time for a Philadelphia-minted coin -- and placed above the dome of Monticello in 1942 as nickel became a critical alloy for the WW II effort and less-valuable silver was used as a component instead. What was the Mint's intended purpose for the enlarged mintmarks?
A: The purpose of the enlarged mintmark was twofold: It signaled the change in composition and also was intended to later allow the coins to be easily withdrawn from circulation, although the Mint never pursued that course.

3.) Schlag suffered from a lack of recognition for his work as the Mint did not place his initials on the obverse below the bust of Jefferson until ... name the year? And, for an added proof, was there anything unusual or rare about any coins minted for this year?
Aimage Schlag finally was recognized with the addition of his initials "FS" in 1966. Two specially coined presentation pieces were presented to him in recognition of the occasion.

Thanks, all ... Randy

Comments

• Options
    Randy

Great contest, PM sent all three questions answered.
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudos for a nice giveaway. The Jefferson nickel is one of the biggest "sleepers" in US numismatics, in my opinion. Way underappreciated, at least the circulated and non-"Full Step" coins. What is cool about Jeffersons is that one can still just about complete a lower-grade set of them from circulation, if you go through enough rolls. One time at my corner convenience store, I hit the motherlode. The clerk gave me my change, and there were two grubby War nickels in there. I asked if he had more rolls where those came from, and he sold me about 10-12 rolls. Several of the rolls were solid War nickels. The coins were nasty-looking and oily, like they had been in the bilge of somebody's boat for a long time, but silver is silver, right? I'll buy silver at face value all day long! (More recently, I hit about sixty 40% silver Kennedy halves at my credit union. Prettier than the War nicks, and again at face value. Woohoo!) image

I just acquired a ton of circulated War nickels. (Not in change, or for face value, but far better looking than the oily hoard I once found). Maybe I will give a few assortments of them out as "door prizes" for the folks playing in my Virtual Type Set giveaway... something to ease the pain for the folks who don't win the big certified coin prize...

The nice thing about your giveaway is it will give somebody a good starting point to collect the later dates from circulation. (Except the proofs, of course). Are you giving away a Whitman folder, too? If not, I might have some lying around to contribute. (Can't swear to it, but maybe...)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Thanks for the reminder, LM. Yes, the Jeff collection comes housed in a Harris folder. Or, if the winner thinks the child would have more fun inserting the coins personally, I will ship an empty folder with the coins in a tube ... winner's choice!
  • Options
    PM sent.

Thanks for holding a contest!

-Dan
  • Options
    Great contest, PM sent. image
  • Options
    Let's see who is paying attention ...

And enter my giveaway!
  • Options
    I am!
    NMFB ™

• Options
    PM sent

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    PM sent
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    With the kind and generous help of pushkin, who is offering some Indian Head cents, we will try to make sure every entrant's child of choice receives at least a few coins, even if their benefactor fails to win the random drawing for the grand prize. Out hat is off to pushkin for his welcome offer of assistance and his shared concern to "help a kid collect ..." image
  • Options
    Nice contest with a noble cause! Since I have no kids yet, and have plenty of jefferson nickel sets anyways, I'll leave this contest for those who might be able to share this hobby with a young one.
  • Options
    image PM Sent

Jake
  • Options
    Thank you, RGL and pushkin. My neice will be overjoyed to get some coins. PM sent.

Big congrats to TheTrain on the win and welcome to the boards. A great place for collectors. Lots of great people here! image

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    thanks to the both of you. PM sent

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    Thanks RGL and pushkin! PM sent.

Jake
  • Options
    Thanks RGL for the constest. My niece loved her package and we had a great time spending an hour putting her new coins in the holder. Also, thanks to both you and pushkin for giving something to all the kids, I think that was terrific.

Troy
  • Options
    I have received my neice's packages from rgl and pushkin. What a nice start you two have given her.

I am hitting the coin shop this week to pick up a few more things and her package will be in the mail by next Monday. I spoke with her parents last night and they want to keep this a surprise for her. I will report back when she gets her package.

Thank you!!! image

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    I received everything a couple days ago and finally got a chance to run to the local shop and pick up a couple folders. Last night I took everything my nephew's house and his eye's LIT up like you wouldn't believe. I thought they were going to pop out when he opened up the roll and started looking and oohing, ahing at everything. He was amazed at how old wheat cents were and he loved popping them into the folders. It was constant question after question once he was done admiring all the coins. Before I left, he wanted to know if I was going to bring him more next time I came over! Thanks you 2 for the contest. He really enjoyed it and I think we might soon have a young collector on our hands here. Thanks again image

Jake
  • Options
    We are gratified the kids are thrilled. It really is encouraging news to hear we may have some new collectors. And, special credit to pushkin ... in addition to the nice Indian Head cents, he made a special run to the coin shop, and with the help of an understanding dealer who gave him a good price, bought all of our runner-up kids an 1883 No Cents nickel ... I plan to repeat the kid giveaway in the future. Thanks all,

Randy (and pushkin!)
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    great story!! Thanks for sharing
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!