Home Q & A Forum
Options

Ballpark$/advice re sterling silverware value

We had a sterling silverware set with makers mark -some symbols & the letters RM, also stamped STERLING, could be from late 1800's to 1930ish (belonged to my great grandmother & my mother was born 1920, not sure if it had been passed from further down or not. My great grandmother was born @1860's-80's), service for 8, I think (6 min. but I think 8 is typical?) missing butter knives & maybe a fork or &/a spoon, possibly a serving pieces, there were a couple of mismatched items (still sterling) in there &,maybe 2-4 plated pieces in box too probably serving pcs @75-85%complete max, maybe90-95%) not a fancy pattern, simple scrollwork lines on edges. An estate seller/house clear out person paid family $120. The wood box & contents had to weigh at least a couple lbs, the forks were substantial in feel & weight. (the guy wouldn't budge even $10. higher when asked), did we likely get ripped off? I saw several here saying melt value is .30 - .40 per gram but no clue what that equates to in terms of a set of sterling flatware? I would expect they're going to sell for double what they pay minimum, & I know there's a lot of factors that contribute towards value & I haven't been able to give specific info needed, but I'm just trying to figure out if we might've got taken advantage of or not? This same person is also wanting us to hire them for final house clear out, which is why even though water under the bridge & lesson learned, if there's a 50% chance we did get taken, I wouldn't want to hire them & Im hoping to make my queasy stomach worrying over whether Mom's silver was squandered, go away. ANY JUST low end ballpark guesses would really help settle my mind, a possible range helpful),
I'm not sure how many pieces in a set, even an idea if it was only 25pcs or 50pcs will help me get an idea. If it was likely @$300 total melt value, then was fair, right? But if likely at least $500 then maybe we got taken advantage of? Have deadline due to house sale & tons to clear out. Also any advice on how or what type of person/business to find to sell crystal pcs, shirley temple little blue pitcher/creamer type glasses, salt cellars, vases, candlesticks, teaset, tea cups, late 1800sx- 1950's plates, ornate gold frames, mirrors, etc to would be so helpful, i hear estate sales garner pennies (also these items not sought after now?) Only couple weeks to do this & no storage avail. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Tagged: