Home Sports Talk
Options

How often do earthquakes hit California?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 3, 2022 1:50PM in Sports Talk

I was seeing reports of a magnitude 3.8 earthquake hitting California today, is this true? For you guys who live in California, how common is this, I know about the San Andreas fault, is this kind of stuff a common everyday thing for you guys?

Comments

• Options

I remember a few years back, we had a small earthquake in North Carolina, it lasted about a minute or so, but it was a bit scary because we aren't used to these things.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

California records dozens of earthquakes every single day.

• Options

Man, it would scare me to live in California, I've heard about the San Andreas fault, that thing is frightening looking.

• Options

3.8 is a fairly small quake. Happens often. Not sure I'd even notice it at this point. :)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2022 4:58PM

I have an earthquake app. It just went off as I was typing

From yesterday

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I have an earthquake app. It just went off as I was typing

From yesterday

Wow, that is unbelievable, I never knew California had to deal with that many earthquakes, that is scary.

• Options

That tectonic fault line is a ticking time bomb, my fear is that the big one is going to eventually happen, set off a psunami.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r_E7yrCAq58

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2022 7:19PM

Constantly. In an urban area you would most likely not feel the small tremors. But, if you are outside working on a ranch you feel them all the time. AND....you can hear them before the shake. Sometimes like a freight train in the distance and sometimes like a big BOOM! Just like a cannon!.. ..The worst part is that after the little shake......the big one might come.......minutes, days, you just don't know. One time I heard a BOOM!....next thing I was in the air and flew about 3 or 4 feet. Oh, the stories I could tell......Earthquakes are Weird.

• Options
    edited March 3, 2022 6:15PM

Earthquakes don't scare me but tornadoes......I'm terrified of those bad boys

I was in the last two big earthquakes in Mexico City. Also a monster in Tokyo

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2022 7:14PM

@Justacommeman said:

I agree. Tornadoes are the worst. Scary!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yahoo must have heard @doubledragon talking. You have a far reach my friend.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/could-happen-tomorrow-experts-know-230027986.html

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2022 5:54AM

@Hydrant said:

@Justacommeman said:

I agree. Tornadoes are the worst. Scary!

I’ve lived in Texas the last 35 years. Fortunately the area I live is not prone to tornadoes as if one touches down it has a habit of following the Red River.
    What I’ve never understood is the citizens of Moore Oklahoma. An F5 tore through this town in 1999. One of the largest on record. The citizens said we will rebuild. In 2013 a larger F5 followed the same path right through Moore. Imagine trying to sell real estate? Brand new house built in 2014. Hmmm

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have the time do a little internet digging.

In 1964, Anchorage AK had a 9.2 shaker. Almost 3,000 miles away and later that day,
    in northern California, a town called Crescent City had a tsunami roll through town. Check out what it did to the town through images.

CC is now home to Pelican Bay state prison. Makes San Quentin look like a nursery school.

1989, world series stopped by the Loma Prieta quake. I was at my desk in my dairy barn in Morgan Hill. My Golden retriever jumps into my lap a few seconds before the quake. Where I lived in Los Gatos, a third of the town crumbled. In Oakland, a double decker freeway collapsed. The bay bridge lost a section.
    In 1994, we had the Northridge quake. I was in Orange County. It knocked me out of bed.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@streeter said:
    If you have the time do a little internet digging.

In 1964, Anchorage AK had a 9.2 shaker. Almost 3,000 miles away and later that day,
    in northern California, a town called Crescent City had a tsunami roll through town. Check out what it did to the town through images.

CC is now home to Pelican Bay state prison. Makes San Quentin look like a nursery school.

1989, world series stopped by the Loma Prieta quake. I was at my desk in my dairy barn in Morgan Hill. My Golden retriever jumps into my lap a few seconds before the quake. Where I lived in Los Gatos, a third of the town crumbled. In Oakland, a double decker freeway collapsed. The bay bridge lost a section.
    In 1994, we had the Northridge quake. I was in Orange County. It knocked me out of bed.

The Northridge earth quake leveled the hillside house next to us in Studio City killing a family of four. This was before I moved there. The house was never rebuilt

m

• Options

You must keep the Hydrantettes away from the San Andreas fault line, it is an evil line, save the Hydrantettes!