Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ebay verification??

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2, 2022 4:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Is this new? It popped up while I was making an offer, then it asks for my password even though I am logged in..

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

happens from time-to-time. another member posted something like this not to long ago.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2022 4:51PM

How expensive was the item? and were you logged in from a non-typical place or piece of equipment?

• USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    How expensive was the item? and were you logged in from a non-typical place or piece of equipment?

I have a few different computers I use on a regular basis. But, you could have a point.. this was a $500 or so item...

I have no problem with security, just never seen that before and I've been doing Ebay since 2002... anyway, thanks everyone!

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happened to me a few times now, same computer, nerver shut down, and always logged in. It cost me a coin when I went to bid at the last seconds of the auction.............
    BTW, is ok to vent about Ebay here? I have nothing good to say about there taxing of coins!!!

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had it happen a few times too. Just like the poster above, once it popped up when I was manually bidding at the end and the bid did not go through (item sold below my mx bid too :'( ).

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    BTW, is ok to vent about Ebay here? I have nothing good to say about there taxing of coins!!!

eBay doesn't tax coins. Your state does.

@MasonG said:

@alaura22 said:

NO, that is not correct. Ebay is charging the tax on coins. I live in UTAH and there is no tax but I've been complaining to them about this for over a year now and then won't fix it.

Sorry about that. eBay has been having problems getting this right for quite a while. Some people have been able to get it sorted out by contacting eBay, others not so much.

@MasonG said:
    Sorry about that. eBay has been having problems getting this right for quite a while. Some people have been able to get it sorted out by contacting eBay, others not so much.

I am a concierge member and I've been fighting with them since they changed it over a year ago. They just won't listen.
    So now I just look at the coin(s) and them contact the dealer to make the transaction on Their website!

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like Tax Fraud to me.......

try threatening them with that, and see if they are a bit more receptive.

@habaraca said:
    Sounds like Tax Fraud to me.......

try threatening them with that, and see if they are a bit more receptive.

Like I said, the people that you get to talk to are CLUELESS and don't care
    All they say is to get a tax resale number, I'm not a dealer and don't want that.

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@massscrew said:
    Is this new? It popped up while I was making an offer, then it asks for my password even though I am logged in..

It has happened to me several times. It is price dependent. There is some magical number that triggers it - best guess from me is that it is around $600 to $700 as that's where I've encountered it. It effectively renders impotent any snipe bids for coins of that value or greater. I have lost several auctions where my bid would have won if it was executed (I seemed to forget about it for some reason, but it has hit me enough now that I plan for it).

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

This happened to me on ebay checkout - they asked me to re-enter credit card info.

I got out and checked out on my phone to be sure it was not a hack, pfish, or malware.

@mbogoman said:
    I have lost several auctions where my bid would have won if it was executed...

Maybe not. If your bid wasn't executed, other bids might not have been, either.

• USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mbogoman said:

@massscrew said:

It has happened to me several times. It is price dependent. There is some magical number that triggers it - best guess from me is that it is around $600 to $700 as that's where I've encountered it. It effectively renders impotent any snipe bids for coins of that value or greater. I have lost several auctions where my bid would have won if it was executed (I seemed to forget about it for some reason, but it has hit me enough now that I plan for it).

I wonder if putting an early bid in would get it out of the way and prevent it on the snipe bid?

I wonder if putting an early bid in would get it out of the way and prevent it on the snipe bid?

HA HA HA
    In my mind I totaly thought that Ebay would do that just to prevent snipers. If they made it so you wait till the last minute and not be able to bid you would bid early and this would genarate more bidding, more bidding the higher the price.
    I very rarly place a bid early, on any platform.

• Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@MasonG said:

I am a concierge member and I've been fighting with them since they changed it over a year ago. They just won't listen.
    So now I just look at the coin(s) and them contact the dealer to make the transaction on Their website!

I had the same issue here in Ohio. eBay did update it for Ohio, but it seems only for the larger stores that sell on eBay. I have had no sales tax charged when I purchase from say Liberty or Pinehurst. But I could find the same coin (gold) with an independent seller, and the sales tax is there. I did get charged for sales tax recently, but was reimbursed with two weeks. Also not sure what being a concierge member would have to do with anything.

@Morpheus1967 said:
    Also not sure what being a concierge member would have to do with anything.

Presumably, one would have access to more competent customer service reps than the rest of us are forced to deal with. It appears it doesn't help much.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭

My solution is simple, DONT USE EBAY ANYMORE!

@MasonG said:

@Morpheus1967 said:
    Also not sure what being a concierge member would have to do with anything.

Presumably, one would have access to more competent customer service reps than the rest of us are forced to deal with. It appears it doesn't help much.

Doesn't help at all!

@tommyrusty7 said:
    My solution is simple, DONT USE EBAY ANYMORE!

Agreed, window shop
    Just hope the seller has a website of there own

@alaura22 said:
    Doesn't help at all!

Have you considered contacting your rep in the state legislature? If eBay is collecting "tax" on your purchases, I have to believe they are sending it on to the state- I can't imagine eBay fraudulently collecting and keeping the money. Ask your rep what the state is doing with the money you were inappropriately taxed (show him your eBay purchase records) and ask him why the state is accepting these funds when you are not required to pay them.

If you use an accountant for tax preparation, you might also consider asking him if there is any way to deduct the sales taxes you paid that were not required from your income taxes due.

Bottom line- if you can make eBay's problem one for the state too, it might encourage the state to lean on eBay for their screwups. They'll probably have a better chance of getting through to eBay that they shouldn't be collecting taxes that aren't due than you are.

@MasonG said:

@mbogoman said:

And even if it was executed, the current high bidders max bid may have been high enough to still exceed your bid and they still won it just for more.

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

@MasonG said:

@mbogoman said:

And even if it was executed, the current high bidders max bid may have been high enough to still exceed your bid and they still won it just for more.

Yes, all true. But in a couple cases I had nuclear bids that likely would have been winners, exceeding the winning bid by over $1k. Maybe yes, maybe no, but it sucks that I never got the chance...

• silverman68silverman68 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Its real, no problem for me.

@MasonG said:

@alaura22 said:
    Doesn't help at all!

Have you considered contacting your rep in the state legislature?

Mason, It's like buying gas, if you don't like the price at a station, just move on to the next one

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with a little ebay seller protection.

"Interest rates, the price of money, are the most important market. And, perversely, they’re the market that’s most manipulated by the Fed." - Doug Casey

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@MasonG said:

@alaura22 said:
    Doesn't help at all!

Have you considered contacting your rep in the state legislature?

Mason, It's like buying gas, if you don't like the price at a station, just move on to the next one

I tried that. After passing 14 gas stations with prices that I didn't like, I ran out of gas.

Now that eBay has taken over payments, they have added risk to themselves. Their added 'protection' for sellers is a protection for themselves.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@alaura22 said:

Not related to the original post but I just sold a coin on feebay (first one in years) to a buyer in a state that is required to pay sales tax. Well, ebay automatically collected the tax but they also billed me the full 12.9% managed payment fee on the total amount coin sale plus sales tax. Now why the hell am I being charged fees on the buyers sales tax? Seems like that should be illegal to me. Figured I'd start here before wasting the next 5 hours trying to talk to a clueless customer service rep in India.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@MasonG said:

@alaura22 said:

Not related to the original post but I just sold a coin on feebay (first one in years) to a buyer in a state that is required to pay sales tax. Well, ebay automatically collected the tax but they also billed me the full 12.9% managed payment fee on the total amount coin sale plus sales tax. Now why the hell am I being charged fees on the buyers sales tax? Seems like that should be illegal to me. Figured I'd start here before wasting the next 5 hours trying to talk to a clueless customer service rep in India.

That doesn't sound right. Wait until tomorrow to talk to eBay. You may get an American who is fluent in English.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@blitzdude said:
    Well, ebay automatically collected the tax but they also billed me the full 12.9% managed payment fee on the total amount coin sale plus sales tax. Now why the hell am I being charged fees on the buyers sales tax?

Payment processors charge a fee based on the total amount of the transaction. That's just how it works.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@blitzdude said:
    Well, ebay automatically collected the tax but they also billed me the full 12.9% managed payment fee on the total amount coin sale plus sales tax. Now why the hell am I being charged fees on the buyers sales tax?

Payment processors charge a fee based on the total amount of the transaction. That's just how it works.

They won't be getting any future managed payment fees from me. RGDS!

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    If you use an accountant for tax preparation, you might also consider asking him if there is any way to deduct the sales taxes you paid that were not required from your income taxes due.

TX (not your state, but an example) will only refund the incorrectly remitted taxes to the remitter, OR to another party if the remitter submits an affidavit.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file