Home Q & A Forum

Physical damage or broken die?

I am very new to coin collecting. Searching through my inherited collection I found this coin, does anyone have an opinion on its condition? Is it physical damage?

Answers

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry,but it's post mint damage (pmd)

It is a well circulated coin. The best way to learn how to grade is to practice. Use the following link and give it a shot. Post your thoughts, and we can give you honest feedback

https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Washington/Grades

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Not so sure what goes into grading. From the link you provided, the condition of what is described as MS65 has more prominent detail than the coin with MS66. You can see more detail in Washington’s hair and eye in the MS65 than MS66. And MS66 has more “toning” than MS65 and the “toning” increase as the grades increase. Is having heavy toning more important than the coin being pristine as if it were just minted? .

• CentSearcherCentSearcher Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

@Jakefromstfarm said:
    Not so sure what goes into grading. From the link you provided, the condition of what is described as MS65 has more prominent detail than the coin with MS66. You can see more detail in Washington’s hair and eye in the MS65 than MS66. And MS66 has more “toning” than MS65 and the “toning” increase as the grades increase. Is having heavy toning more important than the coin being pristine as if it were just minted? .

While that MS65 does seem to have more hair detail than the MS66, you've got to take into consideration that they are two different years (1939 and 1957). From what I've read and noticed, the US mint makes minor adjustments to the die occasionally, sometimes making certain details sharper and others smoother. When grading coins by comparing with photos of others, it's best to use one of approximately the same year.

But that's only necessary when the coin is in very high grades. Since yours is heavily circulated, PCGS photograde will do. And I agree, it looks like PMD (post mint damage) to me. Still a nice, better date quarter!

• My comment still stands … l still don’t know what constitutes the value in a higher grade. I hear words like condition, rarity, metal content … but condition is the most vague. Obviously PMD but how is the toning condition evaluated? Is the uneven dark toning of MS66 what is keeping it from a higher grade?

edited March 2, 2022 2:11PM

Many times, condition and grade are used interchangeably. When you asked about condition, you would have been given the grade.

You should be able to come pretty close in determining the grade (condition) of your quarter based on the photo grade link.

Edit to add
    You can scroll left and right on that link. The grading scale starts at PO-1 to MS-70.

@Oldhoopster said:
    Sorry,but it's post mint damage (pmd)

It is a well circulated coin. The best way to learn how to grade is to practice. Use the following link and give it a shot. Post your thoughts, and we can give you honest feedback

https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Washington/Grades

@hammer1

I'm trying to understand why you gave this post a LOL? It was a serious post trying to help a new member

Are you disagreeing with the post? Did I make a mistake and post incorrect info? Maybe an errant response? If you disagree, please post your thoughts. Otherwise, I'm at a loss on why you feel this was funny.

Awaiting your follow up to see if there is anything I can do to improve my posts to new collectors

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one seems to have said it, but it's a silver quarter.

To me it looks like an attempt at alteration. Not just random PMD.