Home Precious Metals
Options

palladium vs. platinum

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anybody explain why palladium is so much more expensive than platinum. My understanding is they can they be used interchangeably?

Comments

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2022 8:34AM

For catalytic converters, I believe that because palladium is considerably less dense than platinum, a smaller amount (by weight) can be used with equivalent function.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

From CNBC today:

Palladium surged more than 9% on Tuesday to a seven-month peak as Western sanctions against Russia over its invasion of Ukraine renewed concerns over supply of the metal, with the elevated tensions also bolstering demand for safe-haven gold.

Used by automakers for catalytic converters to curb emissions, palladium jumped as much as 9.4% to $2,722.79 per ounce in the session and was up 6.1% to $2,639.19 by 10:41 a.m. ET.

“There is tremendous concern that Russia, a key exporter of palladium, is going to face severe disruptions as the flight bans are going to impose a big trouble in getting supplies to different places,” said Edward Moya, senior market analyst at OANDA.

“Palladium market already has tight inventories and now the geopolitical risks are going to lead to severe supply shortages,” Moya added.

Russia is the biggest producer of palladium, with Moscow-based Nornickel accounting for 40% of the metal’s global mine production last year.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

There is a lot that doesn't seem logical. Palladium is 2.44 times the price of platinum. And then palladium is up 2.5% while silver is up 3.76% as of this writing.

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Didn't they find a new substitute for palladium?

Do EV's use any PM's?

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

_There is a lot that doesn't seem logical. Palladium is 2.44 times the price of platinum. And then palladium is up 2.5% while silver is up 3.76% as of this writing.

I don't think there's much of an intersection between the price of palladium vs. the price of silver. Both are apparently pretty volatile now.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Palladium over $2,900!

What to do, what to do?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

$3,008 now.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was using kitco

Futures are below 3000

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2022 7:25PM

So i am out of town, work related travel. Nephew's birthday last Sunday. I asked my wife to go into safe and get silver maple leaf for part of his birthday present. Unfortunately, sitting on top of cigar box in safe was the Pd maple leaf i was getting ready to sell/trade. Well, wifey took that coin as gift. Is it proper etiquette to ask for it back, or am I SOP($h!t out of palladium)?

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@RobM said:
    So i am out of town, work related travel. Nephew's birthday last Sunday. I asked my wife to go into safe and get silver maple leaf for part of his birthday present. Unfortunately, sitting on top of cigar box in safe was the Pd maple leaf i was getting ready to sell/trade. Well, wifey took that coin as gift. Is it proper etiquette to ask for it back, or am I SOP($h!t out of palladium)?

I would say its a mistake and replace it with the silver.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobM said:

When I was reading your post, I knew what was coming. :D
    Take him a silver Maple Leaf or an ASE and explain the error to him. Do it soon before he has a chance to pawn it or sell it to a coin dealer for face value. Let us know how you made out.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I just got it back in trade for one each 1 ounce BTC and ETH rounds. Now off to my LCS to sell it for spot minus $100.

• Options

After some research I found a comprehensive article on platinum and palladium

https://aheadoftheherd.com/platinum-is-a-poor-substitute-for-palladium/