Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did someone overpay for this morgan toner?

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless this is a valuable VAM that I am not aware of, I would not have paid that much for that coin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm seeing a raw album toned AU55... maybe a $50-60 coin? Like TomB said, unless it's a VAM...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were three bidders in at $200+. Do you (in general- not directed at anybody in particular) think they all were wrong?

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toned Morgans always do pretty good on eBay.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not convinced it’s uncirculated, but even if it is, it’s in the low 60s and while some of the color is flashy, I think other areas will end up being rather dark in hand. If it’s a base 78-S I think it went well over what it should.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's for all to see.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why isn't it certified if it's such a great coin? Personally, I would never pay that much for a coin that was not certified. Even if it was certified though, I would never pay that much for this particular coin.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a $50 mMorgan in my opinion... even so, I may or may not buy it local if I saw it in person...

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    Why isn't it certified if it's such a great coin? Personally, I would never pay that much for a coin that was not certified. Even if it was certified though, I would never pay that much for this particular coin.

If you read the description the seller says it has slight hairlines and thus thinks it would not straight grade, the seller listed it as a details coin which In my opinion I think was pretty stand up of him/her. I don’t think it’s worth the price realized but I’m happy for the seller honestly.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2022 7:19PM

That’s not the type of toning one would see coming from the traditional canvas bag storage and which is evident on most toned Morgans. I’m not suggesting that it’s AT, just that it might be heavy album or envelope toning perhaps.
    It’s not a coin I would pay over price guide for. But, to each their own. Some folks like warm toned coins.
    It looks Unc to me, likely low 60’s, maybe 64 even.
    I see LOTS of raw toned Morgans going for strong money recently, but most of those have much more obvious canvas bag chromatic progressions than this.
    I have several lower grade- 62-63 raw toners in my own collection and was evaluating whether it would be worth my while to get them graded before selling. My recent research has led me to believe that selling some raw is likely the way to go.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a new collector who thought they were getting a good bargain :wink:
    I am not into toned coins but am guilty of buying a few because they looked okay to me, especially from the price perspective.

Here's an 1899 O for 30$

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone wanted that coin for more than they wanted to have $229.50. I hope they're happy with it. I know I usually am when I reach for a coin.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is they were thinking ms65

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not pay that much for it, so from my perspective the buyer overpaid, he/she may not think so.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:
    Probably a new collector who thought they were getting a good bargain :wink:
    I am not into toned coins but am guilty of buying a few because they looked okay to me, especially from the price perspective.

Here's an 1899 O for 30$

The price may be fine, but that coin is definitely AT

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is only one line on that whole listing page that matters.

Returns: 14 days returns | Buyer pays for return shipping | See details

Buyer will get it, return it. Paid $4 to see it in hand. No biggie.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color is nothing special. I wouldn’t pay a premium for color like that.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard pass. Details.

Vplite99
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    The price may be fine, but that coin is definitely AT

Oh! Yeah, totally.
    Someone probably took a blow torch to it after putting it amidst some mashed up boiled eggs.
    But for 30 bucks, it is a fun to have around piece. :smiley:

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2022 9:26PM

@DelawareDoons said:

I don’t see this coin getting returned. You think someone paid that much even when the listing CLEARLY says it’s a details coin just to double check that it doesn’t have hairlines and to see the color In hand? I think whoever bought it loved the look and wanted it or they aren’t aware of what details grading means and what hairlines are which would also mean they aren’t sending it back. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nk1nk said:

@DelawareDoons said:

I don’t see this coin getting returned. You think someone paid that much even when the listing CLEARLY says it’s a details coin just to double check that it doesn’t have hairlines and to see the color In hand? I think whoever bought it loved the look and wanted it or they aren’t aware of what details grading means and what hairlines are which would also mean they aren’t sending it back. 🤷🏽‍♂️

You give buyers far too much credit when you assume they will read the listing. The world is full of morons.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file