Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Russian old copper coin, 1767. Huge and Heavy!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 12, 2022 2:01AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hi guys,
Just picked this Huge Russian coin up from a recent coin show. I met a wonderful old couple from Russia that had a table. They had an awesome inventory. Very historical. They claimed that coins like this one, were the coin of exchange back in the day for their paper money. Similar to ours when we had the Silver Certificates to exchange for the Silver coins. Anymore information about this beautiful mega coin that weighs over 47 grams?

Thanks guys :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2022 4:55PM

Catherine II copper 5 kopecks, Ekaterinburg (EM) https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces8257.html

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnConduitt said:
    Catherine II copper 5 kopecks, Ekaterinburg (EM) https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces8257.html

WoW! Thank You, for all the interesting Info. you posted, buddy!
    <3B);)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only one of these big coins:

Russia 5 Kopeks 1779 Catherine II (Catherine the Great)
    Copper, 40 mm, 50.01 gm

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2022 11:27PM

All those put together probably weighs as much as a small turkey?
    :D
    I betcha it weighs 1 Kilogram?

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2022 6:20AM

@joeykoins said:
    All those put together probably weighs as much as a small turkey?
    :D
    I betcha it weighs 1 Kilogram?

20 coins x 42.5 gms (nominal weight) = 850 gms (plus 5.67 gms for the quarter). So it's a little short of a kilo. It's easy to figure out which 2x2 box they're in without looking at the label. 😃

These aren't they highest grade, but they are all diff dates and mints. Have a few more in Mylar flips, but they were too hard to get out for the pic (coin envelopes work the best). I was able to pick them up for around $4-$5 each in bulk lots a number of years ago and sold the duplicates for $7-$8 so I'm happy with the collection.

Member of the ANA since 1982